What was your first L lens?

wheresnifty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Canon users... what was your first L lens?

Feel free to provide pictures of and with them!

Mine was the 70-200 f/4 L 2 weeks ago! its been cold and snowing and i have been working too much to go out to use it but i love it!

Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L :)
First and currently my only L glass

4126165648_c479432dca.jpg

and there it is - all safe and snug in its wellie sock :)

lol... love the sock! Man, it will probably take me a few years to get to that upgrade... eventually i want the IS version of the one i have...

The sock is brilliant... there's a weird trend going around Berlin where people are knitting things for obscure objects like sign posts and parking meters.

Anyway, my first L was a 16-35mm, which doesn't get much of a work-out anymore and is currently in the hands of my brother-in-law. Next was the 24-70mm, which I will never give up. EVER.

You managed to give away an L lens?
Just tell me you let them have your first and second born first!

and yah the sock works well - initially I did it to hide the glaring whiteness of it (it scares birdies away) however its also warmer to hold when in colder weather (that hard, metal outer shell gets cold really quick) and I'm working on a Mk2 which has a flap at the end so that it can flip over the top of the DSLR during small showers just to give a bit of raincover whilst shooting.

I bought the 70-200mm f/2.8 L-IS and the 135 f/2-L at the same time. Both are good,solid performers. Socks for lenses for d-slrs? That seems a bit odd, especially considering that sweater and knit caps and all types of yarn-based fabrics shed tons of debris all the time, and fibers from sweaters and knit hats and things like that are some of the worst things ever for sensor pollution. If you happen to have a Sensor Scope and look at the crud that accumulates on the sensor at magnification, you'll see what I mean.

Heh probably true there but I don't currently have the budget to reach for those neoprine (SP) covers and a wellie sock was the largest I owned (and I wanted something thickish so that rulled out walking socks unless I used a good number of them).
As for the dust it should not be too much of a problem since the lens should not let it into the camera when fitted. When swapping them around though the camera is always aiming down and the sock pulled down as well so not too much should blow up into thecamera.

that said I do need to start looking at sensor cleaning - the blower is not enough when working with the MPE65mm :(

Maybe you should take the sock off the lens and hold it over a flatbed scanner, then stretch the sock a little bit a few times over the flatbed's exposed glass, then make a high resolution scan. Every turn of the zoom ring or focus ring is causing shedding of fine particles all over the lens and body.I don't think one can control the spread of these particles quite as neatly as one might like to think one can.

You could however buy a 24-pack of condoms and wrap that new lens up and protect it from the big, bad world. Hey..new product idea--lens condoms! lol:

Heh true but so far I've not noticed any major differene in sensor dust (save for the MPE but that is in a class of its own when it comes ot sensor dust).

and do condoms come in army green camo patterns?

actually wait don't answer that last question -I'm better off not knowing ;)

You are a good sport overread! I hope you are getting along well with that nifty MPE-65; that's a lens many people are probably unaware of,and after a few months of ownership and use, I think you ought to treat us to some 1x to 5x life-size views of some a the little things you spy through that specialty optic. As far as those neoprene lens covers go: I think a competent seamstress could make one in about 10 minutes using a swatch of neoprene and her serger.

Heh I think until I can save up for the canon twinflash most of my early MPE shots are going to be of static things - expect torment as I torture you all with flowers! ;)
I did a bit of test and 1:1 to about 2:1 is lightable with a flash in the hotshoe - after that the extension on the lens itself blocks out too much of the light. I'll do abetter test and see how far I can take it before problems kick in - otherwise its going to be offcamera flash and tripods.

24-70 L. It almost never leaves my camera now unless I feel like having a 'shoot at 1.4' day (or unless the job calls for the other lenses).

100-400L
then 24-70 f2.8L
then 70-200 f2.8L IS
then 24mm f1.4L
then 135m f2L
then 300 f/4L
then 24-105 f4L

All used.. yes my hand was in the cookie jar.... eventually sold everything but the 24-105L and 100-400L. Even made some money in the end.

You could however buy a 24-pack of condoms and wrap that new lens up and protect it from the big, bad world. Hey..new product idea--lens condoms! lol:
As long as they aren't lubricated... things could get a little slippery! :lol:

Most reactions

Back