what would be a good flash

jamesparker1250

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got a d3200 and would like a flash for it what would be a good one ?:confused:

I have two YNs and I love them both. Never failed me yet after I learned how to operate it. Newer ones nowadays have an English manual too on how to use it. When I bought my first one, the manuals were all in Chinese.

If you have the money for it Nikon SB 700, Recently purchased one myself and I couldnt be happier. Very simple to use very fast turn over for the flash to be ready. Came in a nice protective case with a few little accessories.

For a first flash I generally recommend a fully integrated OEM model. For "cheap" a used SB600 is more powerful than a SB700 but less user friendly. Same for the SB800 vs 900/910. If not a Nikon SB model (600 and above) then at least a fully integrated/TTL 3rd party like Yongnuo.

With OEM and some third party units you can later decide to expand with CLS or manual units...or go w/ monoblocks... but you'll still have the TTL/BL/FP/on camera bounce from the initial purchase which is VERY useful.

It really depends on what features you want the flash to have, and what your budget is.
the sb910 is a great flash, at about $500.
If you want TTL and HSS, your options will be more limited than if you want a flash to use on manual.
for TTL and HSS you can get a sb600, sb800, sb700, or sb900/910
you can also get a yongnuo YN568EX for $180 new that does TTL and HSS
there are also a few cheaper yongnuo flashes that are TTL, but do not do HSS.

for manual flashes....the skys the limit really. too many to list.
Right now, I have SB24, SB28, and a few YN560's for manual flashes, (great for OCF)
and SB700, and half a dozen YN568EX's for TTL/HSS flashes.

Budget will most likely determine your best choices.

I would look for a sb700 and sb800 used as a great flash at a good price :)

I would recommend a Nikon flash as your 1st one because it will take advantage of all your cameras flash features. I have 2 YN 565's and that I use with my light kit and they are great but I still use my SB700 or SB900 as my go to flash because they are so consistent. I would recommend the SB700 for your 3200 as the SB900 or SB910 would seem huge with such a small camera body.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back