What would be the way to achieve this style of portrait..?

Black background.
Single light 60° to the right and slightly above camera.
Mid-tele lens wide open, focus on nose.
Find suitable model wearing a hat and sporting an excessively long hair in right nostril.
Convert to b&w in post and crank up the sharpness.

Thank you..! My main question in mind was is this achivable outside a studio so I guess the anwear is no (not w out some heavy photoshoping at least).

You could easily do a pretty darn good recreation of this with a single speedlight in a medium to large room.

Heck, you could do this outdoors if you wanted to! Just make sure the background has no lights in it.

You can do this style anywhere, as long as you have powerful enough lights. You'd need to shoot with no direct light or direct reflection in your background, set your ambient exposure until it's completely dark, then completely expose for the flash.

100 mm prime at like f/4

Then go freaking nuts with sharpening and contrast in processing.

You wanna shoot this without a studio? Here's my suggestion. Tack up some black background material. Have the person stand a little bit left of center from the opening of a doorway, nose pointing toward the open doorway. Boom. There's your light source.

Closer to the open doorway, and the light will have very rapid fall-off. Seven to eight feel into the center of the room, the light will be lower, yet much,much more gradual in its fall-off.

As long as you can expose for only flash or supplementary light and kill all the ambient w/ a higher shutter speed you'll be fine.

Do you think the nostril hair was added in post?

I like the door way idea. This picture is fantastic anyways, hope you get good results!

Most reactions

Back