What would you choose?

solrac8126

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let's say you have a table with 2 cameras.
1 Canon EOS 5d (with batt. grip and 2 batteries)
2 Canon EOS 1D Mkiii

I have to say i'm focusing ONLY on the sensor (size, range, noise, etc.)

we still have to wait for the 5d successor.

For what purpose? 2 different cameras that excel in 2 different areas.

For what purpose? 2 different cameras that excel in 2 different areas.

well i guess i have to answer that with what i wrote before...
that i'm focusing only on sensor...:wink:

i really hate to "multiply" focal ranges, i love a big and bright viewfinder

Last edited:
The mk3 has better noise handling and a more modern sensor, being a newer camera. I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find much of a difference in the images between the two cameras, so that being said, I'd take them both and run. If you have a plethora of L's made for a full size sensor, I'd go with the 5D so you don't have a bunch of random focal lengths that don't work as intended.

Really, it's a pretty pointless question.

Really, it's a pretty pointless question.

"thanks" for your answer
well is not pointless
you may not know the difference between 1.0, 1.3 and 1.6 crop factor

and 100% viewfinder

"thanks" for your answer
well is not pointless

and 100% viewfinder

My apologies for my last statement. Based purely on the sensor, there are probably better choices over the 1D mk3 based on price (a 40D for example, which has a tighter crop). Most people choose it for quick focusing and rock solid build. I shoot on my 5D very regularly and use my bosses mk3 pretty often as well. I'm well aware of the crop factor, and that's why I said if you are planning on using lenses like the 24-70, a larger sensor would be better as you'd be able to utilize it as a true "standard" zoom. 24mm is not very wide on a 1.3x crop.

As people have stated previously, they are each suited to different things. The crop sensor of the 1D mk3 would be more useful on a longer lens if your looking for more reach and the 5D would be better suited for a lens like the 16-35 or 14mm, where you get the most out of an expensive wide angle.

The 5D does have an enormous viewfinder which I love, but the mk3 is not far behind. Both are worlds better than cameras like the 40D in terms of spacious viewfinders.

well i guess i have to answer that with what i wrote before...
that i'm focusing only on sensor...:wink:

i really hate to "multiply" focal ranges, i love a big and bright viewfinder

Then you've already made your decision for yourself. The 5D is full frame, the 1d is not. Again, two different cameras for two different uses.

and 100% viewfinder

I'm sure we're all familiar with crop factor here, let's be nice you guys (wow I never thought I'd say that).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back