What Would you do to Make This Shot Better?

William Baroo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had an unexpected chance to take an unusual shot, so here it is. It came out better than I thought it would.

I like the curves of the snake, and I like the way the curves of the dustpan diverge in different directions where the handle meets the pan.

If you were going to take this shot, what would you do to improve it? Is there a particular lens you would use? I was using a Sony ZV-1M2, so I pretty much framed the snake and pushed the button.

23 08 01 water snake on dustpan by pool small.jpg

If this was shot in raw format, I might suggest pulling some detail out of the shadows just a little bit. There's a slider in the Adobe Camera Raw plugin for Photoshop that allows you to control the shadows specifically, and moving that slider to the right will allow more detail in the shadows to be shown. I don't know what editing programs you use, but I use Photoshop pretty exclusively and this is what I would do to improve the shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 5.09.15 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 5.09.15 PM.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 7
I would zoom in a little closer to the snake. There is too much pan in the shot. I would not eliminate the pan, but just reduce a bit.

Thanks for the comments. I need to start learning about raw photos.

Size of image. Yes zoom in a small amount
do some touch up like removing the bit of dirt/dark matter near the top of pan
good shoot, well taken

Thanks.

I never thought about touching it up. Lots to learn.

I would zoom in a little closer to the snake. There is too much pan in the shot. I would not eliminate the pan, but just reduce a bit.
Or just crop the image a bit tighter...

I agree with the idea of a slight crop but the main problem for me is the highlight on the pan because it draws the eye away from the snake. Taking that down slightly if you have the means, would be worth while. Something like:

23 08 01 water snake on dustpan by pool small.jpg

I had an unexpected chance to take an unusual shot, so here it is. It came out better than I thought it would.

I like the curves of the snake, and I like the way the curves of the dustpan diverge in different directions where the handle meets the pan.

If you were going to take this shot, what would you do to improve it? Is there a particular lens you would use? I was using a Sony ZV-1M2, so I pretty much framed the snake and pushed the button.

View attachment 268594
I agree more snake less pan. It's a cute critter.

I think it was exhausted. I found it swimming around the side of the pool, unable to find a way to climb out, so I lifted it out. It sat on that dustpan for a long time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back