What Would You Do

thenikonguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I shoot a wedding, I put in my contract a 6 week turn around.. that way I have plenty of time to get the photos edited.. for the first time ever I have had some spare time on my hands, so, I did lots of editing, and my 6 week project finished 5 weeks early...

the question.. what would you guys do.. put the photos up for proofing/purchase, and risk future events with this client, where they will assume that I get finished way early, OR would you still wait the 6 weeks and put them up later?

I guess this one is more for the pros than the hobbyists

^^ I agree. There's nothing like seeing the client's face when you surprise them with an early delivery.

thats a good point... my main delima though, is that I'm also booked to shoot the clients sisters wedding, and i fear that if those edits don't go as quickly as these ones, they could get mad..

Well if you have a set duration when telling the client that six weeks is your standard turn around I'm sure they wouldn't be disappointed if you're within the time frame. But I know where your coming from. My best advice is to challenge yourself to meet the same duration as your client's sister and surprise them as well but make it realistic for you to deliver both during the same duration. If you have downtime right now, 3-4 weeks migh actually be alot of time to do a session edit and be able to deliver. Usually on 1 big job it takes me about a week at most since I also have a full time job too.

Simply submit them early with the simple explanation that you weren't as constrained on time as you usually are. If the next shoot turns into a 6 week turnaround and they get upset, that really isn't your problem as long as your contract states that it could be up to 6 weeks. Perhaps you could re-word it to say "up to" 6 weeks.

As a business owner, I can attest to the fact that it goes a long way to please customers if you get something done ahead of schedule.

^^ yea, i think this is what I will do.. and my contract does say "up to" !! but i do like the idea of pleasing the customer..

the thing that shocked me was, today i received a call from the Brides mother, she hasn't even seen any of the photos yet, and shes already booked me for her other daughters wedding, simply saying "it was such a pleasure to work with you, you clearly knew what you were doing, and without you, I know the day would have been a disaster" (my assistant did a LOT of damage control for the bridal party... so they were very happy!!!)

My business philosophy is "Underpomise, overdeliver."

[nerd]

I learned a very important lesson from Scottie on Star Trek. It was the episode where he had been frozen or something and was picked up by the new Enterprise.

Jordie told the captain that he'd have a project done in let's say four hours. As they walked away, Scottie asked how long it would actually take. Jordie said about four hours. Scottie was amazed. He told Jordie that you should always tell the person it would take much longer so that when you were done quickly you'd look like a miracle worker.

Take from that what you will. :)

[/nerd]

A time estimate is just that - an estimate. When we process support services for folks, we always say "It can take UP TO ten days to get your reimbursement." More often than not it can take shorter than that. If a client is so ass-hurt that you over-delivered once, and then fell in line with normal time in another. . .screw em.

If you're really that nervous, and assuming you already got paid - just post them in three weeks.

You realize anyone can just click on your name, and view the vapid and meaningless replies you are spamming.

Perosnally i would say post them, Treat her and her sister as seperate clients, they are not your family, they are clients
If 2 people ordered a camera from amazon, oner recieves it in 2days... the other in 4, does that give room for argument?

I say post them as soon as possible as it then gets your print selection out quicker

Most reactions

Back