Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.ianforknall.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's my situation:

Part 1:
I have been using and loving my Nikon D300s for about 18 months now. It has done me proud and it is a genuine workhorse that I can rely on to do what I want it to do for most projects. However, my employer has just invested in a full-frame Nikon D810 which I have free and exclusive use of, including in my spare time but obviously, it does not belong to me.

Part 2:
After doing some portfolio building and doing some freebies here and there and pimping my business cards about a bit, I am starting now to get enquires about portraits and headshots which is the field I want to head in to, but until now I have been using the computer at work in the evenings to edit my headshots with (they are fine with this arrangement), so I have been saving some money with a view to buying a decent Mac of my own so that I can edit at home.

Part 3:
After using the D810 I'm not sure how much longer I'll be satisfied with my cropped D300s.

So, here is my dilemma:
Do I use the money I've been saving to switch to full-frame and use the computer at work for my editing for a while longer until I have saved enough again for my own one, or do I buy the computer and just use the D810 that I have free use of anyway until I can afford one for myself?

Both sides have their pros and cons, but I can't decide which has the better pros..!

Full-frame or Mac?!

Well it sounds you are pleased with your current camera, unless I'm mistaken.

So I vote Mac!

Macbook or iMac

Yeah, I am, I suppose. But now I've been shooting full-frame for a week... It's given my images a whole new look. That I like.

A lot.

It would be an iMac, not a Macbook.

I'd get the D810 and some big external drives for saving those titanic RAW files and your Lightroom catalogue from your work comp.

From an ethical point of view, using your employer's camera for you own personal business is just not fair.

Actually, using the work computer for personal gain is also not fair.

I think to be fair (MAN! How I HATE that four-letter F-word!) you should use your existing camera and purchase what you need when you have the money, in this case perhaps a new computer.

Or... buy a used D800 (there's lots of them around, and you'll save enough to buy a decent editing machine)... for your work, there's going to be NO appreciable difference between the 800 and the 810.

From an ethical point of view, using your employer's camera for you own personal business is just not fair.

Actually, using the work computer for personal gain is also not fair.

I think to be fair (MAN! How I HATE that four-letter F-word!) you should use your existing camera and purchase what you need when you have the money, in this case perhaps a new computer.
If the employer know and is fine with it, how is it not fair? I've lent out my tools to people who got paid for doing repairs with them, I didn't see it as "unfair" - they told me what they wanted, and I said, 'Go for it'.

Fairness is not forming part of this equation, Designer! I am being actively encouraged to do what I need/want to do in order to develop in my career "whether that is ultimately with us or not" (direct quote). So I'm actually letting them have their cake and eat it, too ;-)

I work for a pretty good company, personal development-wise so I'm not worried (and more importantly, they're not worried) about me using their resources for my personal gain.

Oh, I'll definitely be buying used, Tirediron. I've found a D800 for £1,049 or a D610 for £969. Either would be perfect.

I'd buy the computer. You already have the camera to use, so why do you need to buy yourself one? It will give you a lot more flexibility to work wherever you want, and you won't have to be at your office to do your personal work. Even if your bosses don't care, it is always nice to be somewhere other than work. Also, I generally think it isn't a great place to be seen as the guy who is always working towards a new career somewhere else. Even if they don't care and are excited about you doing it, that reputation could lead to you leaving the company on their terms instead of yours. (As in that feeling could make you easier to let go if business reasons force a downsizing, or whatever else.)

Some good points here.

I could just use the work camera for a few more months until I've saved again for the camera - it would be nicer to edit private work at home instead of at the office - I do spend a lot of evening in the office when everyone else has gone home. Plus it should only take 3-4 months of saving again - even less if I get a couple of private shoots done in the meantime.

This is looking like the way to go at the moment.

No dilemma, get the Mac first. You can get a used one pretty reasonably. Now, if for any reason your situation changes with your employer you can still take pictures and edit them until you can get a full frame camera of your own. If you buy the camera first and that were to happen you'd be able to shoot, but not edit. So to me the answer is clear, Mac, then camera.

No brainer, get the D810!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back