What's my problem??

I wish cameras had a trigger. Then I would be spot on all the time. Just kidding ofcourse but I do just press it down only enough to get the shot. I love my D300 for the rear focusing button, it makes it much easier.

If you go to a tripod, you might try using a wireless remote to trigger your shutter. I use one whenever possible to avoid the possibility of camera movement when taking the picture.

If you go to a tripod, you might try using a wireless remote to trigger your shutter. I use one whenever possible to avoid the possibility of camera movement when taking the picture.

Wired remote triggers also work excellently (I use one constantly for my night shots, and I take a loooooooot of night shots :lol:). Wired ones are quite a bit cheaper.

Not that wireless isn't cool, of course. If you get one, all the chicks will want you. :D

if you do go wireless go for the more expensive radio - many of the laser ones only work if you are pointing the laser at the front of the camera.

if you do go wireless go for the more expensive radio - many of the laser ones only work if you are pointing the laser at the front of the camera.
That and they pick up better even if you are doing a picture with yourself in it, without obviously pointing a trigger at the camera.

Wired remote triggers also work excellently (I use one constantly for my night shots, and I take a loooooooot of night shots :lol:). Wired ones are quite a bit cheaper.

Not that wireless isn't cool, of course. If you get one, all the chicks will want you. :D

I'm interested in the chicks wanting me part. Tell me more.

Last edited:
I just bought a wireless radio trigger from this place in Hong Kong.
http://stores.ebay.com/fotocola-camera

It cost about $25.00 including shipping and was in my hands in less than 2 weeks. So far it works well. They claim it is good out to @300 ft. I've only tried it at about 150 but it works well at that distance.

I also have a Canon RC 5 or something like that IR trigger. It works well to about 15 ft. but you have to be pointing at the front of the camera.

I'm interested in the chicks wanting me part. Tell me more.

If you buy it, they will...

...oh maybe I better stop right there.

:lol:

It looks like you're focused just behind the dear. So,

Try setting the auto focus to a single focusing point & use focus looking, as for the shutter speed I would try around 500

I agree. I always leave my auto focus in the center so that I can quickly decide exactly where in the image I want it to focus for me instead of running a hit or miss thing. Give that a shot, I bet it helps.

You should check with Helen but I think that the 1/focal length should actually be 1 over your effective focal length. If say you had and effective focal length of 300mm due to the crop factor then you should have a minimum of 1/300 seconds shutter speed.

Interesting thought, but I don't see why. The 1/FL rule is just a guidline based on the length/weight of the lens. For instance, a 5.6 200mm could be hand-held at slower speeds than a 2.0 200 simply because of the significant weight difference. Effective FL really doesn't come into play here as far as I can see, however, that aside, when you're hand-holding bigger/longer glass, always shoot at the fastest speed that you can.

Generally Canon are very good at ISO 1600 (I know my 350D gives relatively noise free results at 1600), indeed they are constantly praised in camera reviews for this feature. As mentioned above, check your focus points and ensure you are focussing on the right spot (sounds silly but we have all done it). The leaves do look sharp so it may be incorrect focussing, or it could even be movement of the subject.
Somebody suggested a tripod, but for wildlife photography this can be a bit cumbersome and impractical, you may want to try a monopod as they are much more portable and easily relocated and offer some good stability.

Most reactions

Back