whats the best lens for all around use?

quattro4life

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im thinking 18-135mm or would it be better to have a standard 18-55mm and a 70-300 zoom lens?

If you don't want to change lenses much, go for the 18-135mm or the 18-200mm VR.

For me it is a wide angle zoom lens. For you, I don't know. But I can tell you that covering a range of focal lengths with more lenses will improve your image quality but cost more. Using fewer lenses to cover the range has the opposite effect.

If you want snapshots only then an 18-135ish would be ideal OMHO.

If you want higher quality I think the 18-70 2.8 (or 3.5-4.5) would be better.

LWW

The 'best' lens, as far as focal length goes, probably depends more on your own personal 'style' than on a consensus of opinions. In terms of personality, I tend to be a bit distant and more than a little of a pedant. Most of my work is done with a normal lens [6x6cm or 35mm] or with a telephoto of 100 or 135 mm on a 35mm rig. I rarely use a wide-angle lens.

If they made one, you probably wouldn't be able to afford it. It would be a high quality zoom, so you could cover a super range of focal lengths and a wide aperture, so you could shoot in low light and have a wide choice in depth-of-field. Such a lens would cost many thousands of dollars. You pretty much have to narrow it down.

For myself, choice of aperture overrides having a zoom, so the best overall lens for me is an 85mm/f1.8 on film, or the 50mm/f1.4 on my 10D. If I were to pick a zoom, it would have a narrow range so that I at least have a chance of getting f2.8. I use these two lenses 99.9% of the time now. For a while, when I was shooting on film, I only used the 85/1.8.

Lenses depend on what type of image you take, How you view them, how much you can afford to spend,what weight limit you have. etc, etc, etc,

An L series 600mm IS USM is a fine lens. But if you buy one to put on you RZ 67 so you can take macr images on top of a mountain ..........

One of my all time favorites was a minolta Rokor 24mm that I almost had welded to the front of my old X-700. But I found it difficult to take detailed pictures of Sun Spots....

Probably the most versitile, and best value for money,lens would be a high quality standard(50mm equiv in 35mm specs or 80mm in MF), which when added to a good pair of legs to move closer or further away, would undoubtedly produce the finest results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back