what's the diff between EF and IF?

Tatiana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and I don't know much about photography (yet) but I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between EF and IF. And also, can I use the Tamron AF 28-300 (IF) with the Canon Digital Rebel?
Any light you can shed on the subject(s) will be greatly appreciated.

Muchas gracias!

Tatiana

EF is the designation that Canon uses for it's auto focus lenses. Basically, any EF Canon lens will work on just about any Canon EOS camera.

IF means internal focusing. Some companies (like Tamron) put that right into the lens designation. Basically it means that the lens will focus without rotating the front element and without moving the front element in or out. It's a nice feature to have when you are using a filter on the lens that requires a certain orientation...like a polarizer or a graduated/split filter.

That Tamron lens should work with a Digital Rebel...provided that it has the Canon EF mount. Tamron probably makes that lens to fit either Canon, Nikon or something else...so make sure it comes with the Canon mount if you buy it.

Thank you very much Big Mike! The Tamron does have the Canon mount 'cause I bought if for my SLR (I own a Canon EOS 3000). I'm thinking about buying the Digital Rebel and that's why I wanted to know about the lens. Won't buy it any time soon, though, still too expensive for my student budget (950€, 'bout US$730). Thanks again for answering my Qs. à +!

Tatiana

Most reactions

Back