whats the difference between branded lense and none branded lense?

silviamai

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i saw some camera lense online are so expensive. like on canon's website. the lense are so expensive...

is it a big difference between branded lense and none branded lense?

SORRY, YES. I MEANT 3RD PARTY LENSE.

Last edited:
Yes. You get what you pay for.

Do you mean third party lenses such as Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina?

Each brand has their hits and misses (including Canon). Its easier to talk more specific lenses rather than general.

I have not seen a lens without a brand ;)

I have not seen a lens without a brand ;-)

I'll send you one - just don't blame me if it looks like a bamboo cane and does not work :lol:

Do you mean third party lenses such as Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina?

Each brand has their hits and misses (including Canon). Its easier to talk more specific lenses rather than general.

Yea, hows those brands compare to canon those big brands?

Id say find the one you want then google it, and do some research, cause your not the first to have the same questions your asking.

Id say find the one you want then google it, and do some research, cause your not the first to have the same questions your asking.

+1
Depending on what your looking for a Sigma or Tamron might be right, then, a Canon or Nikon or Sony might suit another need better and so on...keep your eyes open for side by side comparisons - they show you the pros and cons of the individual lens...

Also keep in mind that those expensive name brand lenses typically hold their value much better.

There's some awesome lenses from Sigma, Tamron, Tokina. And there's a lot of bad ones too. But there's also a lot of bad Canon lenses, and a lot of great ones. As stated, you need to be specific.

I think it is not correct to generalize 3rd party lenses as second choice.

My proposal is to refer to the "usual test sites" which will give you
some information about build quality, optical performance and other
aspect.

I think if you have a look at lreviews.info - your SLR lens review database you will find some
kind of unbiased review for most lenses currently on the markt.

I own two 3rdparty lenses from sigma and would have no problem adding more of their professional grade lenses to my setup. As said above 3rd party is not so much a general single pattern and you really need to approach things on a lens by lens basis to compare them. Sometimes the 3rd party is the cheaper, poorer alternative - sometimes its the cheaper better and other times its the more expensive and better.

So do consider 3rd party and keep your mind open when choosing

I also don't really worry about resale value of lenses - generally speaking if you are spending a lot of money on them its not something you are going to sell on that quick so the fact that resale is retained a little more by some brands isn't really something I would consider.

I'm going to stick my neck out here - I'm pretty sure I'm right but it's worth checking...

I believe that third-party lens manufacturers must reverse-engineer the protocols used to talk to the camera body as Canon / Nikon / etc. do not release the specifications. This could mean that, although they have been tested with current bodies, some future camera body may be released where the own-brand lenses work but some third party ones do not. There's also the warranty which does not cover any malfunction caused by a third-party lens being attached. I think that the chances of either are pretty slim, but if you're the cautious type it's worth knowing.

Ah - a reference! Canon EF lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I'm sorely tempted with the Sigma 50mm f1.4 :drool:

i saw some camera lense online are so expensive. like on canon's website. the lense are so expensive...

is it a big difference between branded lense and none branded lense?

SORRY, YES. I MEANT 3RD PARTY LENSE.

Yes, in construction quality and optical quality. You do get what you pay for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back