What's the difference between.............?

binglemybongle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
***Noob Alert. Whoop Whoop Etc!***

Can anyone tell me the difference between a telephoto lens and a zoom lens?

Whether its the technical definition or the difference it makes to end result.

P.S. Please don't laugh!:grumpy: Or justice will be swift and severe! And possibly in the form of small carniverous animals (badgers).

Telephoto just means a long focal length

Zoom means that the focal length of the lens can change.

Telephoto zoom means a long lens that can change it's focal length.

Just to add slightly to that. A zoom lens is any lens that hasn't got a fixed focal length. A lens which has a fixed focal length is a prime lens.

I was tought that 50mm was about what the human eye is, so above that is telephoto and below that is wideangle. I have heard many different cut off marks and it seems to vary from person to person and from company to comany, but I think you could safely assume that the telephoto range starts around 100mm and up.

danalec99 said:
How long is long?

What some might consider long, might be short to others :lmao:

I would think that anything longer than the 'normal' view focal length. So anything longer than 50mm on a 35mm camera.

You always see the different levels as well...Telephoto, super Telephoto...wide angle, super wide, ultra wide. I don't know if there is a standard for the terminology, it's probably just a product of the marketing departments of the camera makers.

Telephoto actually means that the effective focal length of the lens is longer than the actual focal length, but the term has come to be used for any longer than normal lens.

Thanks guys!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back