What's Wrong?

bakstreet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT that I purchased from Best Buy last September. I went ahead and bought the four year warranty that's offered. About three months ago I started having problems with the camera. It didn't matter if it was in fully automatic mode or a manual mode (auto focus on) the camera would have problems focusing and also letting in enough light. Most of my pics were coming out yellow or blurred. In fully automatic mode I would assume there would be enough light inside my house to get a properly focused/white balanced photo, but that wasn't the case. Anyway, I took my camera to Best Buy to have it checked out through the warranty and about two months later I got it back. They had lost my camera. Anyway, they weren't sure what was replaced but now it downloads super slow and worst of all my problems are still present. Regardless of what setting if my subjects move I get a blur, the color still isn't correct. Over the weekend I tried to take some outside shots in the evening...I tried in Tv mode at first because I was blurring some traffic but then I wanted a nice crisp shot of a building so I sped my shutter back up and it wouldn't allow enough light in to even be able to see the building. So, I put in on fully automatic and tried again and it kept the shutter open for 8 seconds in order to take the pic. What is going on with my camera? Should I just take it to a camera shop and have them look at it...Best Buy told me it would be shipped to Canon and repaired but I hope Canon never touched it because my problems were never solved. Thanks for any and all of your help.

Firstly, I would try to reset the camera back to defaults...it should be somewhere in the menus...check the manual.

If it's still weird, I wouldn't hurt to have someone at a camera shop...or a photographer, if you know one...to have a look at it...maybe compare it to another model.

It's just a guess...but it might sound like the aperture blades on the camera may be stuck. Maybe try the camera with a different lens (a shop should let you try this).

If all that fails...send it into Canon. If it's within one year of purchase...the factory warranty should still be good...so you can probably bypass Best Buy and just go to Canon yourself for faster results...although, that might cost you shipping.

I'd be happy to pay shipping...I just want my camera back. Thanks for the advice.

By the way, before I took it to best buy I did restore it to factory settings.

Try handing it to the store manager with an explaination about the loss and failure to repair it last time. Demand to see him personally.

It has been my experience if you have someone to hold accountable they tend to do a better job than just 'someone' took my camera or whatever

Sorry I don't have any advice but thats horrible that you would have such problems only months after getting your camera. I hope someone gets it working for you again.

I plan on taking it to best buy again today and asking to speak to a manager. Hopefully, things get worked out. I did try another lens on it yesterday and it still seemed like it was taking way to long to take some pics. I can have all the lights on in the house, the blinds open and everything and try to take a pic in a manual mode or a mode without the flash and it takes several seconds for it to capture the photo.

Okay, I just dropped it off at Best Buy again. This time I made sure to get the guys name I was dealing with and assured him that after two weeks I will be a thorn in his side. Like I said before, I did buy the four year warranty on it. Mike (by Best Buy buddy) said that the way Best Buy handles things like this is that they attempt to have it repaired twice, if brought back a third time generally they would just exchange the product for a new one if in stock or an equal to. But that depends on the manager on duty, they could actually attempt to repair it a third time but he said that rarely happens. So, we'll see.

did you ever try taking photos during the day outside? If so, did you still have the same problems then?

Yes, I've taken some photos outside. If I am outside and the sun is out, it seems to take the photos without much problem. But if I took the camera inside during the day with the shades open and lights on it would start having problems. It's like the sensors only pick up the light when it is extremely well lit.

Most reactions

Back