What's your approach?

Unspoiled

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ajlorello2.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So for the past few days that I have had off...I've been going out before dawn to see what I can see. I have been driving around to different areas around my house to see if I can find something interesting to shoot.

I have hiked in the desert as well as walked through town and shoot what seems interesting. This seems to be fairly inefficient way of going about it. I have started to make notes of places that interest me and try to get out there in the morning.

I was wondering what approach everyone else takes when going out to shoot....

Do you look for the lighting, content, roam aimlessly, or plan it out weeks ahead of time?

Here is a link to some of the pictures from my aimless wandering... C&C Post

Thanks!

Plannig reduces some of the aggro. Being there before the right time and set up (and you should know when that occurs) will produce more keeps IMO.

"There are 10 interesting things within 10 feet of you at any given time"

I think of a place to go, and I look for stuff to shoot.

Plannig reduces some of the aggro. Being there before the right time and set up (and you should know when that occurs) will produce more keeps IMO.

I second this. Wandering around is frustrating because you start trying to frame things that just really don't make compelling images. Plan your trips based around 1 or 2 spots you really want to photograph and take a lot of pictures at different settings and in different types of light. Some photographers (Ansel Adams comes to mind) go back to the same spot many, many times. Things change during different times of day, of the year, etc.

Thanks for the feedback.

Do most of you carry a camera with you all the time?

Bitter Jeweler...Great comments...Great photos

Thanks for the feedback.

Best words of advice I've been given since I started learning photography "You can't take the photo if you don't have the camera with you"

Thanks for the feedback.

Best words of advice I've been given since I started learning photography "You can't take the photo if you don't have the camera with you"
+1 ^^^^^

When I go, a camera goes with.

I like lists of ideas (for when my brain just isn't working) and themes. I've done "urban art", "mass transit", "people", etc.

It helps me to focus (NPI) on content and I put myself in locations where I am most likely to achieve my goal. Also by having a list if ideas or themes I keep the others in the back of my mind, and if my current focus isn't panning out I can switch direction if I see something else I want to capture.

But I think it helps a lot to have a tick list of images written down somewhere. So brainstorm and get a list, whittle it down to what you think are the best ideas and keep it in your camera bag.

Most of my best pictures I get when I see something when I'm just out and about with my family. They get a little annoyed at me because I wind up having to catch up, but ... gotta do it...

I do occasionally make note of interesting places and return to the scene when I think the lighting will be interesting, but I FREQUENTLY find that the places I go to aren't as interesting as they seemed when I first saw them- probably because the lighting or other elements were just PERFECT when I was there before, but not when I return.

More often than not the interesting elements of the place are individual details that I have to pick out and focus on... and more often than not the picture I thought was interesting was just a collection of interesting bits that my eye noticed but that I caugh in more of a "combined effect" kind of way. (again, look at the details)

Most reactions

Back