What's your experience with Fujinon 18-135mm zoom lens?

gk fotografie

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is there a Fuji user who has experience with the Fujinon 18-135mm zoomlens? Would like to hear more about ease of use (also with 4K video recordings) and what it's like to walk around for a longer time with this 490 gram zoom lens. If possible, I'd like to view some sample photos and I'm also very curious about the combination 4K video + 18-135mm lens.
Thank you.

Gerard

I haven't tried that one but thought I'd bump your thread because I'm curious as well.

I rented one prior to buying the 55-200. I really liked the weight. The image quality was very good, if not excellent for a zoom. It was just a little short for me. I was looking for a lens I could travel with and opted for the longer reach. For the way I shoot, if I'm going wide, I just use a wider prime because I am used to primes. Having said all that, this really is an excellent lens optically and a very useful focal range for most shooters. The AF is very fast, good micro contrast, and excellent color render. I did notice it is stellar when the subject is close and you zoom in tight. The wide end is impressive, exhibiting excellent corner sharpness for a zoom. No vignette on wide end that I could see. Minimal distortion. I liked it but opted for the longer range of the 55-200 for light travel (zoo & wildlife).

I think it boils down to how you shoot. I will almost always shoot a prime over a zoom unless I want to experiment a little to really get a feel for what the zoom can do. A good example is using my 100-400 to shoot flowers. Not a typical choice but found it to be incredibly useful for a different look. I am not a video shooter but I assume it would be excellent for that due to the excellent image stabilization, quick AF, and silent nature of the lens.

Check out flickr and the x photographer website for samples. The lens reviews are rather mixed but I think it boils down to how you shoot. In other words, I don't expect a zoom to be like a prime so I wouldn't compare it to one. In comparison to the other fuji zoom offerings (55-200, 50-230, 18-55) it is excellent and on par.

I rented one prior to buying the 55-200. I really liked the weight. The image quality was very good, if not excellent for a zoom. It was just a little short for me. I was looking for a lens I could travel with and opted for the longer reach. For the way I shoot, if I'm going wide, I just use a wider prime because I am used to primes. Having said all that, this really is an excellent lens optically and a very useful focal range for most shooters. The AF is very fast, good micro contrast, and excellent color render. I did notice it is stellar when the subject is close and you zoom in tight. The wide end is impressive, exhibiting excellent corner sharpness for a zoom. No vignette on wide end that I could see. Minimal distortion. I liked it but opted for the longer range of the 55-200 for light travel (zoo & wildlife).

I think it boils down to how you shoot. I will almost always shoot a prime over a zoom unless I want to experiment a little to really get a feel for what the zoom can do. A good example is using my 100-400 to shoot flowers. Not a typical choice but found it to be incredibly useful for a different look. I am not a video shooter but I assume it would be excellent for that due to the excellent image stabilization, quick AF, and silent nature of the lens.

Check out flickr and the x photographer website for samples. The lens reviews are rather mixed but I think it boils down to how you shoot. In other words, I don't expect a zoom to be like a prime so I wouldn't compare it to one. In comparison to the other fuji zoom offerings (55-200, 50-230, 18-55) it is excellent and on par.

Great review jc. Renting to try it out is a great idea. I’ve been wondering about this lens too as an alternative to the 18-55 since I rarely use that one but don’t want to give it up due to its flexibility.

Great review jc. Renting to try it out is a great idea. I’ve been wondering about this lens too as an alternative to the 18-55 since I rarely use that one but don’t want to give it up due to its flexibility.

Thanks. I would rather have it than the 18-55. I don't use mine all that much either. I am currently obsessed with the 56mm now that I figured out how to use it, which is in manual focus for me. I didn't rent the 56, I just bought it after I sold my 60 and initially had buyer remorse. So I tried it in manual focus and that was the ticket, for me anyway. Amazing isolation and OOF rendering.

Unfortunately it's absolutely impossible to rent "amateur" photo stuff here and there are hardly any photo shops with skilled staff nowadays. After 9 years with a Nikon bridge camera my wife wants to buy a new camera with a 200mm (35mm equivalent) range and 4K video. Her Nikon has a zoom range of 624mm, but due to a cerebral infarction several years ago she can no longer keep such a zoom lens under control. I'm thinking of a Fuji XT-20 with 18-135mm lens, because she doesn't like to change lenses. We'll be getting there, I'm sure, within a few weeks.
Thanks for the info, JC.

Gerard
Sounds like a wise choice if within the budget.

Most reactions

Back