CraniumDesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevendavisphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

So i've got 3 lenses now, and I'm going to Hawaii in 8 days for 3 weeks. I wanna know exactly what my lenses are suited for, so here they are...

- 50mm canon 1.8
- 18-55mm canon 3.5
- 75-300mm tamron 4.0

I'm assuming my 50mm is for when I want a high DOF, people shots, and indoors. I'm guessing my 18-55 is a good landscape and general outdoor camera. And guess my 75-300 is more perhaps wildlife and macro photography.

Thoughts? Just started all this in December, so pardon my lack of knowledge. Thanks :)

Last edited:
No, your 50mm f/1.4 will have a very narrow Depth of Field. The more wide open the aperture (that is, the smaller the f/value), the narrower (smaller) will be the depth of field. In fact, that f/1.4 will have a very tiny depth of field! Great for blurring backgrounds.

Yes, the wider lens (18-55, especially at the wide end) is great for landscapes, or really general purpose. That's a good focal length for almost everything.

Finally, the 75-300 may not be good for macro, if it doesn't focus closely. It's probably best for wildlife, and possibly portraits (long lenses often get used for this).

So i've got 3 lenses now, and I'm going to Hawaii in 8 days for 3 weeks.
Where in Hawaii will you be visiting?
I'm assuming my 50mm is for when I want a high DOF, people shots, and indoors.
"High DOF"? I think you mean narrow depth of field. Yes, it's good for indoor use and you can shoot people with it.
I'm guessing my 18-55 is a good landscape and general outdoor camera.
Yes, it does pretty well in good light outdoors. Doesn't do well indoors in ambient light...you'll need flash to help illuminate. It does tend to shoot a little soft when wide open so you'll want to try to stop it down a bit.
And guess my 75-300 is more perhaps wildlife and macro photography.
I have the Canon EF 75-300mm and I really don't use it for anything. Not my favorite lens. But as far as focal length range goes, it can be useful if you can keep it steady at the long end. You can even get shallow DOF at 75mm wide open if you're close to your subjects.

No, your 50mm f/1.4 will have a very narrow Depth of Field. The more wide open the aperture (that is, the smaller the f/value), the narrower (smaller) will be the depth of field. In fact, that f/1.4 will have a very tiny depth of field! Great for blurring backgrounds.

Yes... but just to be clear... There is absolutely no reason why you can't take that 50mm f/1.4 and stop it down which in turn will deepen the depth of field. Personally, I like the 50mm or 35mm stopped down at around f/8... I then either stop down or open up depending on what I want to achieve. In other words, you are not stuck shooting the lens at wide open.

Most reactions

Back