When does an IS lens work?

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I mean more specifically, I dont know cuz I currently dont have a IS lens, when you turn the switch for IS on, is it on? or is it only on during the picture taking process?

I assume if the switch is ON all the time it would drain the battery. Im guessing it only uses IS when you take the photo? I am just guessing of course.

Any comments please?

Canon's IS and Nikons VR equivalent are great in low light. If you are outside in some sun and have a fast shutter speed, turn it off. You don't need it.

You don't need it because the shutter speed is fast enough to stop motion fast enough. Now, on the other hand, when you are say indoors, you would turn it on and since the camera can't gather enough light to have a fast shutter speed, so you can have a sharper image when the IS is turned on.

Please, keep in mind though, IS or VR will NOT stop motiong anymore. It ONLY compensates for your hand shaking and movement.

~Michael~

Ok, I think the answer is, either when the lens senses movement or when you press the shutter halfway. I don't know, just an educated guess. I'm leaning towards then you press the shutter half way.

Canon's IS and Nikons VR equivalent are great in low light. If you are outside in some sun and have a fast shutter speed, turn it off. You don't need it.

You don't need it because the shutter speed is fast enough to stop motion fast enough. Now, on the other hand, when you are say indoors, you would turn it on and since the camera can't gather enough light to have a fast shutter speed, so you can have a sharper image when the IS is turned on.

Please, keep in mind though, IS or VR will NOT stop motiong anymore. It ONLY compensates for your hand shaking and movement.

~Michael~

Thats not what im asking. WHEN does the IS actually work? Not when to use it.

Ok, I think the answer is, either when the lens senses movement or when you press the shutter halfway. I don't know, just an educated guess. I'm leaning towards then you press the shutter half way.
Thats what im thinking

~Michael~

Well that was certainly informative.

I can't speak for Canon but imagine it would be the same as Nikon: the VR system activates when the shutter release button is pressed half way. You can hear a tiny high-pitched squeak and you see the image stabilising through the viewfinder.

I can't speak for Canon but imagine it would be the same as Nikon: the VR system activates when the shutter release button is pressed half way. You can hear a tiny high-pitched squeak and you see the image stabilising through the viewfinder.
awesome thanks, its probably using the same connection/circuit as the manual focus since that is used when u press half way down, of course IS still works with MF is on hehe...

Just a guess but thanks!

It's actually when you focus. Some of use don't have AF set to the shutter button.

Thats not what im asking. WHEN does the IS actually work? Not when to use it.

Ha ha. Sorry about that. I got a little bit carried away.

Now you have to make it hard. Like pm63 said, it probably starts when you press halfway down to focus.

~Michael~

Ha ha. Sorry about that. I got a little bit carried away.

Now you have to make it hard. Like pm63 said, it probably starts when you press halfway down to focus.

~Michael~

It's actually when you focus. Some of use don't have AF set to the shutter button.

Read the above quote. It activates when you start focusing, or press down the focus button, which is not always half way on the shutter.

if you ever use an IS lens you can tell it kicks in when you press the shutter button half way. looking through the view finder you can definately sense that theres a little less movement. it always gives me the feeling of being sort of drunk, and things are moving reallly sloowly.

I guess this thread is primarily about the Canon camera the OP owns but someone also mentioned Nikon so I demand equal time. :D

The (vastly superior IMO) system that Minolta designed and now found in some Sony models, allows the user to select when the AS (anti-shake) or "IS", "VR" is engaged. The options are Grip Sensor/Shutter-button/Full-time and Exposure Only/EVF (and of course off all together). The Minolta system is not lens dependent so it works with ALL lenses.

Here it is in action: http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminoltaa2/Images/asmovie.mov

Last edited:
wow never seen it in action before. I like having options but the idea of a Full-Time VR makes my batteries cry.

I tried a VR lens at a store once .. I didn't like it, it kinda made me feel sea-sick. Anyone else experience that? Or is it just me? :p

if you ever use an IS lens you can tell it kicks in when you press the shutter button half way. looking through the view finder you can definately sense that theres a little less movement. it always gives me the feeling of being sort of drunk, and things are moving reallly sloowly.

Hai. Thx 4 reading mai thred.

Yet again, it activates when you focus. Not everyone has the focus set to the half press of the shutter. You statement is there for partially inaccurate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back