When does it end??

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ShutterSpeed, Jan 22, 2009.

1. ShutterSpeed

ShutterSpeed TPF Noob!

Teresina, Brazil otherwise known as the End of the
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok. So, using my wife's Nikon got me interested in getting my own. So I bought it in December. Then I knew i needed a remote. Then I wanted a 50mm 1.8 prime lens - now I keep thinking.."If I could just get this..."

So, my wish list has grown - and I need to realize that I have a budget I can't break. But it keeps growing. With each purchase, I think "What's next?"

AHH! It's so hard - and yet so addictive.

2. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It never ends.

3. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It does start to slow down after about $10,000

4. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you have the money, spend it. But spend it wisely. I see so many people who have lenses that do what other lenses do, and other wasted peripherals. Sadly, a majority of people will say they NEED it if for no other reason than someone else (whose photos they admire) say that they NEEDED it. Cause-Effect being what it is, why wouldn't you assume THAT thing was what did it.

Now personally, I would not say getting the above items even comes close since they all can serve a singular purpose; its if you look at someone shooting with a 50 F/1.4 and proclaim "Oh ****, this hunk of junk 1.8!", and then see someone rocking the 50MM F/1.2 and frustratingly remark "Damnit, I'm just not getting what I need!" - THEN there is a problem. A problem only an alcohol condition can solve.

5. DexGtr

DexGtr TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    it doesn't end...by the time you have bought what you thought you needed......in comes the NEW stuff :D:D:D

6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    unless you like wildlife - then that is only the first hurdle (the next is paying around that much for a single lens!)

7. Eldrich

Eldrich TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is anybody out there happy with their setup? I have a canon 50D, a kit lens covering a reasonable middle range, and the essentials, (tripod, filters etc) and I feel content with my equipment, in that, I do not believe that my equipment is what needs upgrading. Sure it would be fun to have better glass, but right now I'm content, am I the only one? I guess maybe I should not read these forums, or read about new glass so that I don't catch this bug...!

8. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I am finally... you know when you've gone a while without any new purchases and you continue to enjoy photography without feeling any limitations.

Unfortunately for me.... my camera collection (just to have not necessarily use) keeps growing. That's endless....

9. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    part of the reason there are lots of people constantly upgrading at the moment is:

a) digital camera bodies upgrade at least once every 2 years and with shutter death many photo amateurs end up either having to have a repair on an old model or the option of upgrading their camera to the latest and greatest

b) there are lots and lots of new people to this *raises hand* and since the good stuff is not cheap it takes a long while to get it together and then settle - I reckon I have another few decades before I have all the glass I want.

10. Jaszek

Jaszek No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I'll be happy when I get a better tripod....and maybe a 600mm prime for free :p. Well the first two lenses I got were the kit 18-55 and 70-300 when I knew nothing about photography. I was used to my P&S zooming a lot so I thought I'll need a zoom lens. For that I have to say if I knew a little more about photography I wouldn't nut the 70-300 right away and save money for a 70-200 f/2.8. My 50mm i got b/c its pretty cheap, sharp and awesome lol. Than I got my 10-20mm not too long ago because I like the effect it makes and many things I shoot are either landscapes or too close for me to move back and get a picture of the whole thing. And it doesn't stop. My teacher just got a 135mm prime couple days ago after getting a 70-200 2 weeks prior to that. I already lost track of how many lenses he has. WHen we talk he's like "o i used this and this lens for that" and I'm like "you have that lens"? And its like a different lens he talks about every time lol. Sorry for the long post and thaks for reading my nonsense :D

11. hossmaster

hossmaster TPF Noob!

it never ends, especially when you are friends with someone who's budget is bigger. Although it is gratifying when you can produce superior results because of necessity, skill, and thought rather than with equipment. By the way I almost never take off my 50mm 1.8, I just get closer.

12. Ptyler22

Ptyler22 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ya, I have a huuuge wish list, it goes on and on, but, I mean, spend the money on photo equipment if you got it, and take good care of the equipment. Investing in good glass is probably less risky then investing it in the stock market these days!