When Walking Around - Leave Camera On or Off?

On or Off?

• On

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • Off

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other (not sure what 'other' means but someone will want a 3rd option I just know it.

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
I always forget to turn my camera off when swapping the lens...I prefer to turn it off during lens swaps because I don't want the sensor to be charged and attract even more dust than necessary...but I've changed lenses many times with the power on because I forget to switch the camera off...LOL...

Last edited:
Do you really think that turning off your camera would remove any residual charge on the sensor in the short period of time between removal of power and the lens-swap?

My manual (I think) says to turn camera off, remove lens, replace lens, power camera on.

But now I'm curious.

You need to turn off the Nikon for the VR lenses.

Failing to do so can possibly cause the lense to have a loose sounding rattling to it internal. Turning the camera on and then off re-sets the lens VR mechanism.

I have done it both ways, haven't heard anything sound like it's rattling in the lens.

Otherwise, the camera stays on unless I am changing the lens or the memory card. Now that I have a Sigma 530 flash, I guess I turn the systems off and then on to synch them when setting them for Off-camera slave for TTL.

I chose other. I usually leave it on until I change cards/lenses, but luckily my D90 is a special edition with an "other" function that relates to anything, including power options. :D

Do you really think that turning off your camera would remove any residual charge on the sensor in the short period of time between removal of power and the lens-swap?
I figure it can't hurt.

I live in a high humidity climate and the dusk here is "sticky" and doesn't get shaken off by the self-cleaning action of the sensor (I leave mine turned off) so I have to manually swab the sensor regularly. If I can keep the amount of dust on the sensor to a minimum by turning off the camera when I change lenses then I can go longer between cleanings.

But like I said, I always forget to turn off the camera anyway.

I manually clean the sensor in my XTi about once a month. I recently picked up a 40D and 5D and really don't want to be cleaning the sensors all the time. I'd rather be shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back