When you leave home with your camera-speedlight of not?

To Speedlight or not to Speedlight

• Yes, my speedlight belongs on my camera to function correctly

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • I only get my speedlight out when it starts to get dark

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
pfft its only spoilt if your a nikonion!!
;)

As for kit most of mine is always with me (actually with my new lens my bag can no longer hold all my gear anymore :().
However if I were just taking the camera out and one lens the speedlite and its softbox (or your diffuser of choice) is certainly with me. Light is key for photography so having some control over it is very helpfull.

Also if you had asked this question a few decades ago people would have stared at you as if you were mad since most photography in those days was done all with flash! (unless you were taking a long exposure of something)

I usually am one to abide to the 'I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it'. That said I recently kicked myself for not following this. I was attending an indoor motorcyle show. All the other bike shows I had been to were typically in a well lit convention type building. Because of this I decided not to take my flash. Well this particular show was in a dingy lit warehouse like structure. Needless to say all the pictures that I took had to be done so with the pop-up flash. I vowed that I would never leave home with out it again.

Yeah, I've become somewhat fanatical about Speedlites. I now have 3 of the things... I never wanted to be left wishing I had one more light. Hopefully these will suffice. :)

I usually am one to abide to the 'I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it'. That said I recently kicked myself for not following this. I was attending an indoor motorcyle show. All the other bike shows I had been to were typically in a well lit convention type building. Because of this I decided not to take my flash. Well this particular show was in a dingy lit warehouse like structure. Needless to say all the pictures that I took had to be done so with the pop-up flash. I vowed that I would never leave home with out it again.
Yup... I hit the Chicago Auto Show recently and was thinking the same thing... "do I take my whole kit or just the camera?" The cars are usually well lit but I figured you can always use some fill light. It turns out a good number of my shots required a flash. I'm glad I brought everything in the backpack.

I managed to fit my 580EX II and two PW PWII's in my Kata 3in1. Of course the flash rarely ever touches the hot shoe. That's blasphemous.

Most reactions

Back