Where is it all heading

In the 50's and 60's if you picked up any of the common photography mags they were just as much about motion photography as still photography. It looks like it's coming around again.

hahaha or one could actually buy a HD video camera. But I guess there will always be some people who prefer the worst tool for the job.

Here is a sample:
http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2327

I think it's like a $2500 camera. Who is its intended market? Are pro wedding photographers wanting to apply what they know about composition and depth of field to try to take some video business? Maybe the photographer has a lot more access to the bride than the video guy.

I bought the D90 with the intention of shooting short artistic little "films". It's no substitute for a decent video camera, but in some situations where you can make use of the large sensor and quality lens the results can be stunning. The shallow depth of field and 24 FPS give it an artsy film look.

There are some great (and not so great) examples here:
http://www.vimeo.com/d90

~Jay

hmm from what I have brifly glanced over the 5DM2 along with a good few lenses is actualy a lot cheaper than going for a proper video (and lenses) setup - so it could be snapped up by some amateur groups as an alternative - even if its design is not as erganomically friendly.
Also one interesting point - people (In the DSLR world) have wondered if oneday we will end up with RAW for videos - from what I have heard to get the equivalent in the video camera world costs a lot of money in the form of software or a bit of modding and hacking of things. That would really turn things on their head!

There are two cameras I know of that use a RAW video format, the RED ONE which uses their own RAW codec, and Silicon Imaging which uses the cineform RAW codec.

I don't know why the big guys like Sony, Panasonic, and JVC don't use a RAW codec.

The Red starts at $30,000, and the SI starts at $15,000.

The D90 uses highly compressed mjpeg codec. But despite it's flaws, you can do some cool stuff with it. 720p video in a RAW format would be about 12 MBps. That would give you about 45 minutes on a 32 GB card.

But despite it's flaws, you can do some cool stuff with it.

And this should about sum it up. Video on an SLR is a great idea. Perfect for those times in need when you need to quickly record a video. But it's no video camera. I'd be pretty disappointed to see this being used in any professional situation over an actual video camera.

Most reactions

Back