Where is it all heading

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by photog2233, Dec 11, 2008.

1. photog2233

photog2233 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In the 50's and 60's if you picked up any of the common photography mags they were just as much about motion photography as still photography. It looks like it's coming around again.

3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hahaha or one could actually buy a HD video camera. But I guess there will always be some people who prefer the worst tool for the job.

4. Jay M

Jay M TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here is a sample:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2327

I think it's like a $2500 camera. Who is its intended market? Are pro wedding photographers wanting to apply what they know about composition and depth of field to try to take some video business? Maybe the photographer has a lot more access to the bride than the video guy.

I bought the D90 with the intention of shooting short artistic little "films". It's no substitute for a decent video camera, but in some situations where you can make use of the large sensor and quality lens the results can be stunning. The shallow depth of field and 24 FPS give it an artsy film look.

There are some great (and not so great) examples here:
    http://www.vimeo.com/d90

~Jay

5. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    hmm from what I have brifly glanced over the 5DM2 along with a good few lenses is actualy a lot cheaper than going for a proper video (and lenses) setup - so it could be snapped up by some amateur groups as an alternative - even if its design is not as erganomically friendly.
    Also one interesting point - people (In the DSLR world) have wondered if oneday we will end up with RAW for videos - from what I have heard to get the equivalent in the video camera world costs a lot of money in the form of software or a bit of modding and hacking of things. That would really turn things on their head!

6. Jay M

Jay M TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There are two cameras I know of that use a RAW video format, the RED ONE which uses their own RAW codec, and Silicon Imaging which uses the cineform RAW codec.

I don't know why the big guys like Sony, Panasonic, and JVC don't use a RAW codec.

The Red starts at $30,000, and the SI starts at $15,000.

The D90 uses highly compressed mjpeg codec. But despite it's flaws, you can do some cool stuff with it. 720p video in a RAW format would be about 12 MBps. That would give you about 45 minutes on a 32 GB card.

7. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And this should about sum it up. Video on an SLR is a great idea. Perfect for those times in need when you need to quickly record a video. But it's no video camera. I'd be pretty disappointed to see this being used in any professional situation over an actual video camera.