Where to focus and which aperture to use..on this image?

dmunsie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm still having problems understanding where to focus and which aperture to use. In the following image where would you focus and which aperture would you use? I used f22 and I think I focused just below the other bank on the other side. Thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

• $testshot.jpg
    $testshot.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 256
I would set aperture to f/11 and focus on the second wood so that the one in the foreground would also come in focus.

Just play around with one of these many depth of field calculators in the internet. Gives you a feeling for what is possible. With a bit of stepping down, you can get a hyperfocal distance really close.

F/22 and far into the distance was probably a poor choice. It should be possible with f/8 or f/11. It also depends of course on what sensor you're using. My Ricoh GR Digital IV displays what range is in focus, that would be ideal.

F22 gets into range of diffraction softness... Diffraction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Diffraction Limited Photography: Pixel Size, Aperture and Airy Disks Diffraction Limited Photography: Pixel Size, Aperture and Airy Disks

Usually for Landscapes, F8 to F11 will be the sharpest aperture you can use (sweet spot on most lenses). As far as where to focus... that comes with experience, and knowing the camera / lens you are using, and just how you want the shot to come out. This can help you decide also.... Online Depth of Field Calculator

Last edited:
What aperture I would use would depend on the lens I'm using. I know where the 'sweet spot' is on all my lenses, and would try that one first.

Are you shooting with the 5DIII or the T3i? I'm guessing that the image is done with a wide angle (10mm-12mm), and with the T3i and 12mm, you've got hyperfocal focus at f/2.8 at 9 ft, where everything from 4.5' to infinity will be in focus. So using f/22 is pretty much overkill and just decreases your fine detail due to diffraction, as Charlie has pointed out.

Given that you will get all the DOF you need even with f/.2.8, Sparky's suggestion to put your aperture at the len's sharpest point makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm also curious to know what the blue/purple/white spots are in the lower right. Most likely flare, but they're not in the 'correct' area.

Like you I'd use f22 but focus a third way into the scene
Why 1/3 of the way into a scene?

At f/22, using a 18 mm focal length, on a 1.6x crop sensor camera, with the point of focus:
20 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.21 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
30 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.29 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
40 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.33 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
50 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.36 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
60 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.38 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
70 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.39 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
80 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.40 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
90 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.41 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
200 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.44 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
300 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.45 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
500 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.46 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.

Good stuff to chew on, thanks for the comments. I'm trying to learn where to focus, on the fly, without resorting to charts or mathematical formulas but perhaps I should reply on that while I'm learning.

When using dofmaster online, what should I enter as my subject distance for this scene? Everything else is obvious.

I know this sounds very noobish, but what the hell...some things just aren't clicking yet...so...I'm using a M3 with 14mm prime lens... I'm going to re-shoot this...probably today...so what focal / aperture settings do you think I should use? Thanks!!

Good stuff to chew on, thanks for the comments. I'm trying to learn where to focus, on the fly, without resorting to charts or mathematical formulas but perhaps I should reply on that while I'm learning.

When using dofmaster online, what should I enter as my subject distance for this scene? Everything else is obvious.

I know this sounds very noobish, but what the hell...some things just aren't clicking yet...so...I'm using a M3 with 14mm prime lens... I'm going to re-shoot this...probably today...so what focal / aperture settings do you think I should use? Thanks!!

If you are using a prime lens, then the depth-of-field marks should be on the barrel of the lens, on both sides of the focus mark. Let's say your "subject" is at 10 feet. Focus on it. Your lens should be showing the focus mark on or about the 10 foot mark on the barrel. Now, to each side of your focusing mark, you should see marks for 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22 (depends on your lens). These marks show you the Depth of field you have at each of the apertures values. By seeing where the infinity mark is relative to your aperture markings, you can see if you have enough DOF. Have a look at this tutorial: Using DOF Scales

He is asking for a spot in the picture for focussing. I suggested the second piece of wood so that the one in foreground would also come in focus. Where would you guys focus?

He is asking for a spot in the picture for focussing. I suggested the second piece of wood so that the one in foreground would also come in focus. Where would you guys focus?
If I was in his situation, I'd figure out what I want to see in focus, set the aperture to give me that DOF, and set the focus/distance scale manually so that the DOF range covers the area I'm interested in.

Like you I'd use f22 but focus a third way into the scene
Why 1/3 of the way into a scene?

At f/22, using a 18 mm focal length, on a 1.6x crop sensor camera, with the point of focus:
20 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.21 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
30 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.29 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
40 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.33 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
50 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.36 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
60 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.38 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
70 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.39 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
80 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.40 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
90 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.41 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
200 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.44 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
300 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.45 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.
500 feet from the camera, the DoF near limit is 2.46 feet from the camera and the far limit is infinity.

Good to see you have so much free time Keith. I think he's getting the 1/3 of the way into the scene from Understanding Exposure (Bryan Peterson).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back