where to get a CREDIT to buy a used lens ???

sm4him - not trying to start an argument with you and you sound like you are a very responsible person from your post and I can respect that.

I would like to add that credit is important way of life these days. Things just cost so much. Many people finance there homes, cars and other furniture and other things. IF you tried to save up until you have enough for everything you want you would never have anything.

Credit is to help you out when you want or need something. IF you are whiling to pay the cost of the loan and its worth it for you to have it now rather than a a few years than thats the price you pay. At $50 a month thats like 3.3 years you would have to wait to have that lens and think about all the shots you will miss or could have been better. Paying an annual interest rate is not always bad if you can justify it and know that it is helping you to establish your credit. This will come in handy later when he is ready to buy a house. But the person does need to be responsible and thats where the line starts and stops, if you do not pay on time then I agree you will be paying waaaaay more than you need to and then mess up your credit.

When I started out with my business there was no way I could have funded all the equipment I needed to get up and running. I had to reach out to the bank for a business loan. I was able to get it and I have been in business since 2004 doing Graphic Design and Garment Printing. My loan was paid off within a few years.

This is why I said if this person is going to school for photography and this lens will help him and maybe even bring in some side money for shoots then my vote is yes do it and be responsible.

Overread and Bitter have already quite adequately stated some of my reasoning.
But I'll reiterate some:

Yes, there are perfectly valid reasons for credit--buying a home, a car, getting a business loan. BUT:
There is a BIG difference between being in your mid-30s, having (hopefully) a solid credit history and then deciding to get a business loan, and being a student who decides they "need" to invest $1500 in a hobby and over-extending themselves.

EVEN if you were a photography student, I wouldn't consider a $1500 lens a "need." Americans, in general, have confused "wants" with "needs." A $1500 lens is just not something *I* think a student, or any non-pro photographer, NEEDS. If you can afford it, great--buy it. But it will NOT kill you to make do with the best lens you CAN afford for a year. Or two. Or even three.

We rely too much on credit, and paying in installments, and it's got many Americans in a great big materialistic financial MESS.
Credit was never intended to give us permission to overextend ourselves, to spend beyond our income, and it just sounds to me like this lens is beyond the OP's current income.

I realize this may all sound harsh, and old-fashioned, but I am truly of the opinion that we would be far better served if we relied less on credit to get everything our little hearts desire--whether we have the financial means to afford it or not--and more on learning how to make do with what we have, even ENJOY what we have instead of constantly needing MORE.

I have ONE major debt: my mortgage. I currently drive a paid-for 15-year-old car. I do not use credit cards. For ANYthing. If I can't afford it, I don't get it. I make do without. I wanted a DSLR for 3+ years before I finally saved enough from doing extra contract work to afford it. My eldest son is convinced that my vacuum cleaner is older than I am, and he's probably not far off--he keeps saying I "need" a new one--but this one turns on and sucks up dirt; everything I require from a vacuum cleaner, so I will use it until it dies...then I'll probably go to the thrift store and spend $25 on another used vacuum cleaner. :)

I guess I just think we start on the never-ending accumulation and credit wheel far too early in life these days. A $1500 lens today, six months from now it'll be a full-frame body, and then a brand-new vehicle. And pretty soon, before you are even a college graduate you are in 15-20 years worth of debt. Then what happens when a REAL need arises? A health crisis? Or you can't find a job?

Just learn to live within your means, and enjoy what you have. You have some perfectly decent equipment, OP, and until you can save and AFFORD that next lens, just explore ways to use what you do have to get better and better results.

One backwards old fogey, signing off. :lol:

Well, I'd say brush up on your photography skills, and use your two primes to do some small jobs like portrait sessions, etc. Use this money to fill a piggy bank for your lens. If not for the whole thing, at least save up 1/2-2/3 of it. But with credit, and pay a good bit more than the minimum each month with that 2/3 you already saved up. This will help build your credit if you hadn't already. Over those months, pay of the remaining 1/3. This should give you a nice cushion to come up with the relatively small amount left on the marvelous lens.

If this isn't an option, I'd say credit probably isn't a great idea. I've personally never done it, either. If you look at my sig, the entire list of lenses (albeit, not an incredibly impressive list) was purchased with funds I've made from photography-related gigs, or surplus college scholarships (I'm lucky to have around $2k/semester in extra college scholarships). Start a community car wash to raise the funds, have a yard sale, work the corner (jk about that one. ;) ). There are better ways. But, if you still need the credit, I'd say save up to buy it in cash, put it on the card, and pay it off in 1/3 the time available to. Your credit score will thank you.

Mark

Welcome to The Personal Finance Advice Forum.

First question is not about how you can get it, but how are you going to pay it off with. If you are using student loan to pay it off, bad idea.

Second question. What camera are you using? I see a F1.2 50mm on your list, so I suppose you have a camera that can take an Ai-S lens. That said, you can get a good used AF-D F2.8 20mm for about $300.

The latest and greatest is only good if you can afford it. If not, it's the latest, but not the greatest.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back