Where/who and how to sell your photos.

I'm not very knowledgeable about photography but I really like those pics.

One piece of friendly advice though....get yourself a spell checker or a dictionary. Not being picky or anything but there are quite a few spelling mistakes littered about that site and if you're looking to be taken seriously, or even pro, then you'll need to address that. You'd be surprised at how a first impression can be tainted by poor spelling, particularly in a business environment.

Sorry I couldn't address your real question.....but very good pics though

:)

The keyword is "selling". You have to find or make a market for what you have to sell or find out what buyers need and make a product to fill that need. Photography is no different. Unless you get lucky and happen to be sitting on a bar stool next to some big magazine's art director who winds up being impressed by you, there is no substitute for rolling up your sleeves and digging into some research to learn about the business. I think you will find that taking the pictures is the easy part.

Where do you want to sell your work? Galleries? Publications? eBay? Your own studio?

I just did 2 quick Google searches and came up with this:
selling photography 2200 hits
selling photographs 2210 hits

Don't take this as discouragement. Just understand that it is a business like any other. You have to learn the business.

First off id like to say thanks to btoh of you.
You really like my pics btw? thanks, it means alot to me when someone says they like my pics.

Umm, I think your right, ill do some research, but im also a bit stuck on how will i give a pic to someone if they go to my website and say, id like that.

I do have a small shop, but the prices are way to high, but the way the site works its the only way i make a profit.

www.cafepress.com/arakiba

If you see any pics, and think that should be on a short/cup or something, please please please tell me.

Thanks again to both of you.

You need to get lot's of traffic on your site, and try to make sure that your site comes up in the first page or so of any particular search engine. Link where ever you can, and do some specialization with your subject matter, and how you phrase things on your site. For instance, it does you little good to have a site about "color photography", as there are a gazillion other "color photography" sites, and your site will be on the gazillionth Google page.

Recently I got contract (the kind of contract that makes you yell "WAHOO!!!!") from an ad agency that found my site when they were looking for photos of people in Kansas and Missouri. They found a link to my site in the Kansas section on another site that listed photographers from all over the nation. That site pops up on the first page on many search engines when folks do a search for regional photographers, so by linking to them, I let them do all the hard, advertising work. By the way, I have yet to pay for any listing, so there is a lot of useful free link sites out there.

Locally, try to have a show of your work. Talk to galleries, and if they aren't interested hit the coffee shops and bookstores and art fairs.

Most reactions

Back