Which camera should I use for product photography? [Beginner Level]

Yaseen B

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

Could someone kindly point me into the right direction....

I am planning on doing some product photography for a company I am currently doing my work placement at. They are after photography for their products and have given me the go ahead to purchase the entire kit. The products are all in packets and are mainly 500g/ 1kg. The produce within the packets range from dried fruit and nuts to pulses, beans and lentils.

I'd be classed as a beginner in terms of my skill level for photography but as a graphic designer, I have the experience of using Adobe softwares which I can use to retouch the images.

The budget I have been given is near the £1000 mark and would want to purchase the entire kit including the camera, lens, tripod, lighting kit, lighting tent/backdrop.

The main question is.. Which camera should I purchase + Which lens should I buy for it?

Thanks in advance! :)

Ps: Would only require face shots of the packaging only.

Welcome to the forum.

I would say that the only requirement for the camera, is that it can operate in manual exposure mode. When used in a studio setting with a tripod, almost any camera can be used to create very good images.

I would suggest putting a book on your list as well. 'Light: Science & Magic'.

The most basic DSLR and kit lens will be fine for this. 2-3 Yongnuo or similar 3rd party speedlights, triggers, a roll of seamless paper, and some light stands & umbrellas and you're done. I should think getting all this within your budget won't be an issue, especially if you can buy some or most of it used.

Ditto with the above. Paper and lights are what you'll need. Any camera will do.

The camera is immaterial as long as it has the ability to control exposure and the ability to synch flash units. Look for one with a hot shoe for flash. Everything else should fall in line. I recommend using a macro lens for product shots. I do my product photography with the a Nikon DSLR and a Micro Nikkor lens. I also use a zoom lens for subjects that don't frame properly with the 60mm lens.

Most reactions

Back