Which Digital

GuyG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Many yeas ago, I did some outdoor writing - sold about 75 articles. I had a regular job and gradually stopped writing. Now I am retired and plan to maybe try to get some stuff published again - mostly my interest is technical stuff about guns, reloading, hunting, etc. These articles require close up photos of bullets, shell cases, targets, etc. I also need to get shots of guys shooting, reloading and hunting/shooting scenes. Before I could get by with B & W 35 photos - now you need digital color. I use a cheap Kodak for fun, but I think I need something better. I have been researching digital cameras and I am thinking that the D 50 would work. I am told that the kit lenses that come with the D 50 are not very good. I am thinking about just buying the D 50 body and just buying the lens that I need. Can I get by with one lens? Exactly which do you suggest? I am sort of a klutz regarding Digital - is the D 50 fairly easy to operate? If you have suggestions regarding another more suitable digital, I am not fixed on the D 50. It just seems to suit my needs and the price is reasonable. Thanks guys.

The D5o is a great camera IMHO.

For your uses I would say that a 28-105 Nikkor macro would be your best 1 lens answer on a low budget.

If you want to rock with it I's try an 80-200 2.8 EDIF AF Nikkor and an 18-70 or 18-55 that comes with the kit.

LWW

If you have a pile of existing lenses for either Canon or Nikon I'd consider sticking with your brand just to save some money. If you don't, go to a Camera store and hold both the Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D (Digital Rebel XT). One of them will probably feel great to you and one will feel clumsy. They're both great camera, so go with the one that feels right. The 350D felt WAY too small and I'm sure I would have dropped it eventually. The Nikon D50 feels fantastic in my (admittedly rather large) hands, so I ended up with it and still love it.

As Tiberius says stick with any brand you have lenses for. If you have none, the D50, 350D, Pentax *ist D variants or Konica-Minolta 5D are all great choices for a digital SLR and all very reasonably priced. If you don't need an SLR then in addition to the offerings from those brands there are also cameras from Sony, Panasonic, Fuji and others which would probably cover your requirements very well indeed. Like Tiberius I recommend going to a camera store, but I'd suggest trying other cameras in addition to the Canon and Nikon DSLRs. Sure their lenses and accessories are the most widely available, but that's not necessarily the most important factor. On a basic level there's also the feel of the camera in your hand, whether the buttons and dials are comfortable to use, whether the menu is intuitive, there's the brightness, size or clarity of the viewfinder... and, let's be honest, there's the price. Try using as many cameras in possible in-store, narrow it down to the models that have the features you require and that feel 'right' for you, and then consider which offers better value for money.

Tiberius said:
If you have a pile of existing lenses for either Canon or Nikon I'd consider sticking with your brand just to save some money.

Just a bit more info... Canon EOS DSLRs are not compatible with older manual Canon FD lenses. Nikon does retain some compatibility. Pentax retains almost 100% compatibility with older manual K-mounts.

As for the lens, it sounds like you should spend most of your money on a nice Macro lens. Even a nice consumer end 6 megapixel should meet your needs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back