which dslr camera?

thank you all for the feedbacks ;)

Im now looking at the canon xsi and xti but confused between the two. xti is cheaper so that i can save on the lenses later. However, xsi has the image stabilisation feature (im into taking people's portraits but not sports) and i guess that should be counted in taking portraits?? or am i wrong?

The XTI is garbage for portraits. You should look at a 5D.

Does it matter? In my opinion the XTi would be good for a beginner.

And that's my point. Everyone is saying get this, get that. Why? Why would a I recommend a 5D to some one that's never owned a DSLR before? I didn't give any reasons. It's only got one number in the name, so it must not be that good.

XTI?

Why is it a good beginner's camera? Is it a good beginners camera because you can only select whole ISO stops instead of thirds? Is it a good beginner's camera because it doesn't allow spot metering? Is it a good beginner's camera because it only shoots at 5fps? Is it a good beginner's camera because it has a plastic body and not a magnesium alloy? It is a good beginner's camera because to change the aperture you have to hold down a dedicated button and then use the shutter speed wheel? Is it a good beginner's camera because you have to actually go into the menu to change most camera settings instead of being able to do so on the fly? It is a good beginner's camera because it has slower AF than other similarly priced cameras in Canon's line up? Is it a good beginner's camera because you can purchase something like a 30D with all those features for about the same price that will give the beginner a little more control over their camera after some experimentation? Is it a good beginner's camera because you own one and have never shot with anything else so you're just recommending what you know?

It's a good camera because the initial investment is far less than going the 5D route. Given an infinite budget, sure... the 5D rocks. But you have to think the $2500 price tag for camera only and then you're going to buy an L lens or one of the better mid range lenses as you'd be wasting your money on a 5D if you use the $100 intro lenses.

A cheap body with good lenses is always a good setup for a beginner because you never know if your really going to take to it. Maybe its just a phaze. Maybe it just remains a once in a while hobby. Good lenses if maintained properly retain over 90% of their value while camera bodies depreciate with every new model introduced (almost once a year). Starting out with an XTi is great to learn on and will dramatically reduce any loss if photography doesn't stick to him. If he gets enough knowledge and starts producing pictures for money or gets a nice bonus from work, an upgrade to a 5D will be a great option. Just my $.02,

Nick

It's a good camera because the initial investment is far less than going the 5D route. Given an infinite budget, sure... the 5D rocks. But you have to think the $2500 price tag for camera only and then you're going to buy an L lens or one of the better mid range lenses as you'd be wasting your money on a 5D if you use the $100 intro lenses.

A cheap body with good lenses is always a good setup for a beginner because you never know if your really going to take to it. Maybe its just a phaze. Maybe it just remains a once in a while hobby. Good lenses if maintained properly retain over 90% of their value while camera bodies depreciate with every new model introduced (almost once a year). Starting out with an XTi is great to learn on and will dramatically reduce any loss if photography doesn't stick to him. If he gets enough knowledge and starts producing pictures for money or gets a nice bonus from work, an upgrade to a 5D will be a great option. Just my $.02,

Nick

Did you even read my post? All the differences I pointed out were between the XTI and the 30D. The 30D is nearly the same price as the XTI and has many features that make using the camera that much easier compared to an XTI.

ok enough aruguing, i personally think that is wayy to nice a camera for a beginner, im still using my s5, a point and shoot

if your new to photography, get a point and shoot, save money and not spend 500+ on something you have no idea how to use. then when you get the hang of everything, upgrade

ok enough aruguing, i personally think that is wayy to nice a camera for a beginner, im still using my s5, a point and shoot

if your new to photography, get a point and shoot, save money and not spend 500+ on something you have no idea how to use. then when you get the hang of everything, upgrade

Don't be jealous.

My first camera was a Minolta SLR back before DSLRs were available at any decent price to the public. And why spend $300 on a P&S when you're just going to sell it for a loss and spend another $600 on a DSLR?

At this point you can buy a used SLR for about as much as a nice point and shoot would run you. And even a 300D blows away most, if not all, of the fanciest P&S cameras.

I was thinking to buy Nikon d40x as it's great camera for beginners. But unfortunately it doesnt give much room for wider range of lenses and therefore improvement.

There is nothign wrong with D40X lens selection unless you are talking about losing autofocus capability unless lens has the AF-motor built in?

D40X or XTi are both excellent choices.

I have Canon so lean towards XTi :)

Is it a good beginner's camera because it doesn't allow spot metering?

How many Canons do. And how many times is a person shooting one going to say "Ahh geez. . .I REALLY need to expose of that SINGLE SPOT!" For the beginner, Canons metering system should suffice for the majority of photos they could even bother caring about.

Is it a good beginner's camera because it only shoots at 5fps?

OH NO! Welp there goes any sports photography out the window. Certain no way anyone could grab action shots at five frames a second. D300 users may as well toss their cameras as well with the paltry one extra frame per second.

Is it a good beginner's camera because it has a plastic body and not a magnesium alloy?

I'm clumsy, so I need every bit of protection I can get! And Magnesium Alloy just SOUNDS cooler.

It is a good beginner's camera because to change the aperture you have to hold down a dedicated button and then use the shutter speed wheel?

"What's this MODE button on the Mark III. . .and whats it there for. . ." Great, you save one click. How revolting.

Is it a good beginner's camera because you own one and have never shot with anything else so you're just recommending what you know?

"I've used this camera and its great!"
"Liar."
"What?"
"You're a liar and dunno what you're talking about. . ."
"But, I'm speaking from personal experience!"
"You're still a liar."

I see why you choose the username. Not to be "ironic", but to deflect any criticism of anything you say:

"You see, my name - I called MYSELF that. Look how bold I am. No criticism you can lobby at me matters - mwahahahaha!"

In summation - do not listen to this toolbox. If you can find a good deal on an XTI/XSI/20 or 30D - get it. In the end you WILL get good images out of it so long as you KNOW how to use it.

How many Canons do. And how many times is a person shooting one going to say "Ahh geez. . .I REALLY need to expose of that SINGLE SPOT!" For the beginner, Canons metering system should suffice for the majority of photos they could even bother caring about.

OH NO! Welp there goes any sports photography out the window. Certain no way anyone could grab action shots at five frames a second. D300 users may as well toss their cameras as well with the paltry one extra frame per second.

I'm clumsy, so I need every bit of protection I can get! And Magnesium Alloy just SOUNDS cooler.

"What's this MODE button on the Mark III. . .and whats it there for. . ." Great, you save one click. How revolting.

"I've used this camera and its great!"
"Liar."
"What?"
"You're a liar and dunno what you're talking about. . ."
"But, I'm speaking from personal experience!"
"You're still a liar."

I see why you choose the username. Not to be "ironic", but to deflect any criticism of anything you say:

"You see, my name - I called MYSELF that. Look how bold I am. No criticism you can lobby at me matters - mwahahahaha!"

In summation - do not listen to this toolbox. If you can find a good deal on an XTI/XSI/20 or 30D - get it. In the end you WILL get good images out of it so long as you KNOW how to use it.

Spot metering is pretty much the only mode I use. Shooting a wedding and don't want to under expose the rest of the scene because of a huge white dress in the picture?

Why settle for a camera that shoots 3.5fps when for the same money, you can get a camera that shoots at 5fps?

Sturdier body for the same price?

One click can mean the difference between getting the shot and missing the moment.

My point as most of the post in these threads are pointless. Some one says, "get an xti". Some one says, "get a d40". Or a Sony, or an Olympus, or a Pentax, or a Hassleblad.

No one backs it up. It's mostly fanboy posts. Most people say "Buy this camera because I have it so it's the best!"

So instead of being immature and throwing around names, how about you offer a better solution than a pointless "Buy what ever camera feels good in your hands" remark.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back