Which external flash for D5200?

philipgonzales3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
for general indoor photography? What do the numbers after SB mean and what are the advantages of external flash? Not looking to do anything too crazy, just want some good indoor photo capabilities.

Just a model number. I have a Nikon SB-910, and I recommend it. I have not tried the less expensive makes. Some advantages are; you can direct the flash toward the ceiling or a wall, or practically anything reflective in the same area to give a softer light. You can also get it off camera and position it just about anywhere if you have a way to fire it. Getting the flash off camera is one of the most effective ways to enhance modeling light. With adapters you can mount the flash on a light stand and use modifiers. Just getting it away from the lens even a little bit helps some.

can you not do these things with a cheaper flash? like what are advantages of that flash than an 80-150$ SB flash? what am I looking for in a flash? that it moves? that it can fire remotely? that it can be mounted on a stand? How hard is it to gasp the concept of how the lighting should be for a noob like me?

Yes, you can do nearly everything with a cheaper flash, as far as I know. The Nikon lights will perform in their proprietary CLS (creative light system). Other than that, any flash can be fired off camera, most can swivel and tilt, and they have comparable GNs (guide numbers).

When learning different ways to use your flash, look at tutorials on line. Read a book or two. Be prepared to purchase some light modifiers such as softboxes, umbrellas, light stands, etc. A radio remote trigger will enable you to position the light just about anywhere, and you can also use a cable (limited by the length of the cable) or fire the flash in slave mode.

can you not do these things with a cheaper flash? like what are advantages of that flash than an 80-150$ SB flash? what am I looking for in a flash? that it moves? that it can fire remotely? that it can be mounted on a stand? How hard is it to gasp the concept of how the lighting should be for a noob like me?

Buy a yongnuo for $60. No ttl but does everything you asked for

Darn but the ttl was one of the only things I thought I "needed" lol. How is a noob like me going to figure out the exposure without ttl? lol. Basically what I want is a flash that will allow me to learn how flash is supposed to be used. what about something like this?
Nikon SB-600 AF Speedlight i-TTL Shoe Mount Flash SB600 at AccessoryCircut.com.
It's somewhere around my price limit for now (my price limits are imaginary numbers that I make up and often exceed lol). So basically what is a good flash for someones first flash? sorry for the dumb questions, please help me understand what I need lol. thanks.

Darn but the ttl was one of the only things I thought I "needed" lol. How is a noob like me going to figure out the exposure without ttl? lol. Basically what I want is a flash that will allow me to learn how flash is supposed to be used. what about something like this? Nikon SB-600 AF Speedlight i-TTL Shoe Mount Flash SB600 at AccessoryCircut.com. It's somewhere around my price limit for now (my price limits are imaginary numbers that I make up and often exceed lol). So basically what is a good flash for someones first flash? sorry for the dumb questions, please help me understand what I need lol. thanks.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I love manual flash though.

I use my ttl flash because of the AF assist light really and it does auto FP. Other than that it is almost never in ttl mode.

So basically what is a good flash for someones first flash? sorry for the dumb questions, please help me understand what I need lol. thanks.

I still recommend the SB-910 as your first flash. After that you can get cheaper ones, but without that first good experience you may become discouraged.

So basically what is a good flash for someones first flash? sorry for the dumb questions, please help me understand what I need lol. thanks.

I still recommend the SB-910 as your first flash. After that you can get cheaper ones, but without that first good experience you may become discouraged.

I disagree. The SB-800 is perfectly fine, and it can be had for $200 from KEH. The 910 doesn't have much more on the 800. I have both the Yongnuo and the SB-800. I enjoy the TTL, but I don't mind setting my flash manually either, and like you, I'm a noob.

then again, we're both wrong for being way out of op's budget.... and yes, i think the sb-600 will work for you

for general indoor photography? What do the numbers after SB mean and what are the advantages of external flash? Not looking to do anything too crazy, just want some good indoor photo capabilities.

It's about like asking what car to buy? Can you use a Honda, or is a Mercedes necessary? Everyone has their notions, but they may rank things different than you. Most of them can get you to the grocery store, but there can be a few feature differences, and all things are NOT equal.

It is worth some thought first about how you might use the flash, regarding which features you will want.

Maybe see Beginners Guide to Select a Hot Shoe Flash - and Compare Power Rating of Flashes with Guide Numbers

I bought a SB600 with my last film camera,a N70. I still use it today. Its been a very good investment. Best ever was a Sunpak 555, but they quit making adapters for it.

profound thinking about stuff

Darn but the ttl was one of the only things I thought I "needed" lol. How is a noob like me going to figure out the exposure without ttl? lol. Basically what I want is a flash that will allow me to learn how flash is supposed to be used. what about something like this?
Nikon SB-600 AF Speedlight i-TTL Shoe Mount Flash SB600 at AccessoryCircut.com.
It's somewhere around my price limit for now (my price limits are imaginary numbers that I make up and often exceed lol). So basically what is a good flash for someones first flash? sorry for the dumb questions, please help me understand what I need lol. thanks.

Maybe get a used SB710 on eBay for about $180. It has TTL and extra controls. If your still a noob I would definitely recommend you have TTL. Manual is something that takes time and effort to figure out. Look up Matt Granger on YouTube, he has a lot of videos on using manual flash.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Thanks I've been watching beginner videos about how to use bounce flash, and how to use fill flash, flash diffusers, reflectors, manual mode, etc. and it seems that ttl is not very good, just like auto mode on the camera. Would it bet better to use ttl or just figure out how to use manual mode? I never realized there was this many variables that come into play when "shooting pictures" lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back