Stevedevil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sjrphoto.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, have been reading a lot on TPF regarding filters,

So what are the must have's for lens protection, also any recomendations of some good ones to keep in the bag ( Polarisers, etc )

Thanks for the advice

Steve

well, if you want some extra glass for protection, then ppl usually use a UV filter.

polarisers are good for contrast in clouds, or to play with reflections (on glass or water).

Neutral density (ND) filters help getting shallow depth of field or long exposures (for motion blur) even when it is a bright day.

Split NDs can darken the sky if you have a dark foreground, helping to get a good exposure for both.

No filters is are a must-have in my opinion. but polarisers are extremely helpful sometimes.

NDs I would only buy once you feel you need them for a special purpose.

Split NDs .. get them when you feel frustrated by blown out skies or underexposed foregrounds often .. if you don'T know that frustration, you won't need them as your shooting habits apparently don't require them.

And if you put a UV on your lens for protection agains scratches, that is a question of which religion you follow ;)

Coloured filters in my opinion are not really needed in the world of photoshop.

I am over carefull with all my equipment, lens covers and camera covers are always stored on, and even when lenses are on the camera the lens cap will only come off to shoot, I thought the outer lense was UV coated anyway??

I have a UV and a skylight now just wondered when out and about shooting stuff if any others have proved ok

I am over carefull with all my equipment, lens covers and camera covers are always stored on, and even when lenses are on the camera the lens cap will only come off to shoot, I thought the outer lense was UV coated anyway??

If you shoot digital, I think even your sensor might have a UV filter in front of it anyway ;)

UV-filter or clear glass, it does not really matter, and glass filters some UV light anyway. But what you need on the filter are the coatings to avoid it to be scratched easily and to suppress unwanted reflections. The price of a UV filter is mainly decided by the coatings on it I think, and not by the fact it filters UV light.

I am using UV filters on all my lenses, but only since I am afraid I might scratch the front glass of the lens if I clean it in a hurry out in the field.

I have a UV and a skylight now just wondered when out and about shooting stuff if any others have proved ok

For outdoor shooting: a polariser.

For added creativity options: ND-filter(s).

I think I will get UV filters for all lenses as its a lot cheaper to replace these rather than lenses, and as you say if that little piece of sand is in your cleaning cloth then its goodbye to lens.

As for ND filters, what do they do, have you a link where I can see some uses

Steve

As for ND filters, what do they do, have you a link where I can see some uses

Hmm, no link at hand.

but google for ND or grey filter and water and motion and you will find interesting examples.

An ND filter basically filters some of the light so that less light reaches the film or sensor. The more "neutral" (the more equally it filters over all wavelengths), the more expensive NDs are as a rule of thumb. Some really cheap NDs might have an unwanted colour cast.

The strength with wich an ND filter filters light can be measured in f/stops, in the factor exposures would lengthen, there are many ways.

Personally I always use a polarising filter for outdoor shots. I love it. The pics always seem to come out clearer and more brightly coloured.

Steve, if you're going to put UV filters on all your lenses, make sure they are multicoated ones.

Personally, I am torn between whether to use them or not.

One school of thought says: "Why put cheap glass in front of expensive glass?" (each surface light goes through, you lose a bit of contrast and have more opportunity for flare)

Others feel that it is like a free hit.

Also, if you only take your lens cap off to shoot, you are going to miss a lot of moments while you are frantically grabbing for your lens cap.

If you're that kind of person anyhow, skip the UV filters and just get a circular polarizer. If you can get over it, the decision will be tougher. Some people use UV filters and never use a lens cap again.

Personally I always use a polarising filter for outdoor shots. I love it. The pics always seem to come out clearer and more brightly coloured.

well, you lose light then ... why putting a polariser in front of an expensive f/2.8 lens, when that makes it a slower lens then.
There are many outdoor shots which do not benefit from a polariser (they do not suffer from it either, but do not need it).

I agree that taking it off and putting it on again can be a pain though ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back