Which is better for what I'm trying to do?

kickingbackintoit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ft. Hood Texas. But I've lived all over the place
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I'm getting back into shooting skateboarding and am having some low light issues. I have one photo posted in the journalism and sports category, and its been photoshopped. There wasn't enough light in the skatepark to shoot without flash (indoor park)! So I had an option to shoot with flash, and get one tiny portion, or shoot a sequence resulting in blurry madness. I already had to underexpose by three stops just to get a decent non flash shot.

Anyways, all that aside, my question is about lighting, imagine that. I've been looking into light sets (just work lights like you would get at home depot) and generators (can't have extension cords lying across the floor where people are trying to skate...) and my lowest price for a basic kit came out to 696.92. I want to look at remote flash systems, but I'm not sure if they are going to be fast enough for sequence. I will be investing in a 1.8 50mm cannon lense to enable me to capture more light out of lightless situations, but I don't like how I will always be stuck at just 50mm. Which option should I go with, light set, or multiple remote flashes? And do you have any suggestions for fast lenses that won't limit me to 50mm that are affordable on my army budget (which is a joke)? And one last question, I googled a lot on this and didn't come up with anything, is there a limit to how many remote flashes I can set up on my Rebel XTI?

thanks for looking
Morgan

If you haven't seen it yet, I'd suggest doing some reading at The Strobist. The 'lighting 101' section is a good place to start.

I can't imagine that a generator would be practical but who knows?. Hot-shoe flashes work on batteries and are very portable. However, if you are looking to shoot sequences, flash probably won't work for you.

Maybe your best bet would be a fast lens and high ISO.

As for how many remote flashes you can set up...theoretically, there probably isn't a limit. It would just depend on how you trigger them.

What kind of settings does the camera want for a picture w/o flash? As in, what does it compute? An off camera strobe might be a good thing to look at, they are not wildly expensive and really give you a lot of power. Check out alienbees, if they are not in your price range then the stuff that is suggested on strobist would also be a good place to look, but you'll lose power and recycle time.

I'd have to look back at the shots for the auto/no flash settings it was trying to do, but I did shoot a few on no flash, and the ramps turned out nicely, but both the skater and the trick was unrecognizable. I'm trying to find a solution the first buy instead of spending double the money on a second option because the first didn't work.

Hey everyone,

I'm getting back into shooting skateboarding and am having some low light issues. I have one photo posted in the journalism and sports category, and its been photoshopped. There wasn't enough light in the skatepark to shoot without flash (indoor park)! So I had an option to shoot with flash, and get one tiny portion, or shoot a sequence resulting in blurry madness. I already had to underexpose by three stops just to get a decent non flash shot.

Anyways, all that aside, my question is about lighting, imagine that. I've been looking into light sets (just work lights like you would get at home depot) and generators (can't have extension cords lying across the floor where people are trying to skate...) and my lowest price for a basic kit came out to 696.92. I want to look at remote flash systems, but I'm not sure if they are going to be fast enough for sequence. I will be investing in a 1.8 50mm cannon lense to enable me to capture more light out of lightless situations, but I don't like how I will always be stuck at just 50mm. Which option should I go with, light set, or multiple remote flashes? And do you have any suggestions for fast lenses that won't limit me to 50mm that are affordable on my army budget (which is a joke)? And one last question, I googled a lot on this and didn't come up with anything, is there a limit to how many remote flashes I can set up on my Rebel XTI?

thanks for looking
Morgan

if you're at all interested in buying just one off camera flash and light stand, you can do a lot with that for skateboarding. the 50mm is also a good lens for skate shots imo

Most reactions

Back