Which is better in the long run D40 or D50?

RockDawg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a complete beginner and I don't really know anything about photography. All I know is that I really want to get into this as a hobby and learn the ins and outs. I've been researching cameras quite a bit, but unfortunately I don't know enough about them to understand the importance of some of the features. I just know that I want to get a camera capable of high quality images and I don't want to sacrafice quality for ease of use because I am willing to take the time and learn some of the more advanced aspects of photography.

With that said, which is the better choice for image quality alone? The Nikon D50 or the D40? I've read that both are really good cameras and I keep seeing people say how the D40 is easier in some aspects than the D50. Does the increased ease of use come at a loss of image quality in some areas or is the D40 a better camer all the way around?

My main areas of interest would be mostly outdoor landscape scenes and macros if that matters much.

The D50 and the D40 have the same image sensor, so image quality should be a nonfactor. The newer D40X has a new sensor, which may have an edge in image qualtiy. It does have more pixels.

The biggest difference between the two is that the D40 does not have an internal AF motor so it is not fully compatible with many Nikon lenses.

As far as ease of use...I'm sure they are both very similar, that's not something to be concerned with.

Side by side

So they are basically the same? That would seem to make the D40 a more logical choice since I am new and don't already have lenses.

So they are basically the same? That would seem to make the D40 a more logical choice since I am new and don't already have lenses.

Not exactly, you said you were willing to learn and you wanted to get to know the ins and outs. So im thinking you'll probably get lenses in the future, and if so the d40 will limit you.

In terms of cost there's also an issue. You are selecting the two cheapest cameras so I suppose cost is important and you are just entering the high-end of the camera hobby. If you buy the D40 it effectivly removes you from the second hand lens market. You will be limited to AF-S lenses only. I know people who sell their AF lenses in perfect condition just to get the motor speed of AF-S. In this case the D50 despite it's slightly higher cost may pay for itself easily if you buy just one second hand lens.

Yes, I am looking at the cheaper cameras because I am a beginner. Cost is a factor, but I kind of figured that if I got pretty good at this I'd probably buy a higher end body down the line. So I assume if you guys had to choose you'd pick the D50? I know the D40 has far fewer AF lenses to choose from, but since I don't know much about lenses other than their "range" (or whatever you call it), I wasn't sure that I would have much use for a lot of the available lenses.

Firstly the D80 is the camera Ive always wanted I just couldnt afford it.
I have a D40 and Im happy with it. I just wanted to take pictures which the D40 allows me to do just fine.

Now that I've taken more and more pictures and IMO Im getting better and I want to try out the other lenses I am a little disappointed that I cant get some of the AF lenses (specifically the 50mm F/1.8d) but it doesnt matter because the next lens Im interested in is the 10-20mm Sigma (which can focus with my D40). Hopefully by the time I've had my fun with the Sigma the rumored Nikon 50mm AFS will be either confirmed to be fact or fiction. Sigma has another lens that I might want one day the 30mm prime which also can auto focus with the D40.

Ive read a lot from here that its all about the lenses the body is just something you attach to the lens. If I only buy AFS lenses I have no doubt future nikons will all work with my lenses whether it has or does not have the internal focus motor

Thats just my own situation and opinion though.

--edit--

off subject some, but I had a dream about the D80 this morning GOSH I want one!!!! heh.

I got a D40 recently and I am very happy with it.

bnz506 said:
Now that I've taken more and more pictures and IMO Im getting better and I want to try out the other lenses I am a little disappointed that I cant get some of the AF lenses

I feel the same but that didn't stop me from getting the 50mm I just have to use manual focus. That lens is great, worth every penny. I did get a feeling that Nikon will release an AF-S version a month after I bought it. So go figure now there is a rumor about it.

Thats the only reason I havent bought the 50mm yet its because of this rumor; I dont mind the manual focus but if a AFS is coming out this year Id rather wait. I wish Nikon would set us straight already.

RockDawg the point wasn't the available lenses. I'm sure there's an AF-S lens available that covers nearly everything you could want in photography. The point was that there are few if any second hand AF-S lenses out there. They are new, they are expensive. For example. On ebay right now I see the Nikkor Macro 105mm f2.8 AF-S lens, new for $1340AU, and someone selling a Nikkor Macro 105mm f2.8 AF lens second hand for $600.

Now the image quality on these lenses are nearly the same! The newer one just has a silent wave motor, VR, and double the price. But you couldn't use the older on on the D40 with autofocus, so the money you saved on the camera is now going into a lens which has features you may not want or need simply because you can't use the lenses in the second hand market.

I wouldnt even look at the D40 when choosing a camera. D50 for sure, it has the autofocus points so you can pan (more easily) and it has support for all nikons lenses. Something the D40 doesnt have. And the D40X is just a polished D40.

it has the autofocus points so you can pan (more easily) and it has support for all nikons lenses. Something the D40 doesnt have.

I'm new to dSLR cameras , and my question might sound stupid, but ain't it better to not have autofocus? So you can focus what you really want?

Also, I'm looking between the D40 & D70... don't know which one to buy yet(a money question).
But another question to y'all- Can the D70 take pictures under the rain? I heard the D40 couldn't because he didn't have a special case or something like that...

Autofocus is very important in modern digital cameras. They don't have a split prisms in the view finder so it is simply often not sufficient to tell if an image is in focus or not through the viewfinder. I use AF all the time and when it stuffs up I grab the focus ring and adjust. There are times when AF will fail completely but that's part of it.

I wouldn't take any digital camera in the rain (ok I did take mine but I wrapped it in my scalf first). Even a Canon EOS1D MKII will die if it gets wet. The exception is underwater cases and these can be bought from 3rd party manufacturers for nearly all cameras.

I'm new to dSLR cameras , and my question might sound stupid, but ain't it better to not have autofocus? So you can focus what you really want?

Also, I'm looking between the D40 & D70... don't know which one to buy yet(a money question).
But another question to y'all- Can the D70 take pictures under the rain? I heard the D40 couldn't because he didn't have a special case or something like that...

of course there are going to be different views on this, but for me I auto focus on what i want. I have my focus point set at the center point only, so I press the shutter release half way to focus on what I want, and then recompose the picture.

With the 1.4 lens, the dof is so great it can be quite hard to manual focus. Instead I choose the quicker route and let the camera turn the focus ring, to focus on what I want.

And of course, you can turn the autofocus off on these cameras for fine tuning or in situations with difficult lighting.

i have a D80 and have used my friend's D40....D40 feels like a toy for a DSLR....(build quality....it feels like an empty shell)....and my friend who is using it now......he wants to buy a different body now.....and very interested in my D80.....but then if you want something very light and compact....D40 is indeed very light and compact.......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back