Which L-Series should I buy first?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by rCOSIO, Sep 9, 2010.

1. rCOSIO

rCOSIO TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey Guys,

Finally been gathering up some money to purchase my first L-Series, especially that I just purchased my Canon 7D last month. Well with that being said, Im torn between:

24-70 f/2.8
    16-35 f/2.8

I don't want to purchase the 70-200 f/2.8 just yet, because I have access to one when ever I need it. So at this point, knowing that I have a Crop Canon 7D, which lens would be best for me? I have been shooting concerts, clubs, portraits, and starting to get into wedding and 15th bdays .... yah, too much variety maybe.

I have rented the 24-70 f/2.8 twice before and like it, but have not shot the 16-35 and have heard people say they prefere one over the other cause Im not shooting FF yet .....

What would you guys recommend?

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Neither. 17-55 f/2.8 IS.

3. rCOSIO

rCOSIO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey Darrel,

I always read your great reply's and would have to ask, why the 17-55 f/2.8 IS .... I really plan on just getting into Weddings, 15th Bdays, and portraits.

This is your choice? Because of IS? Sorry for the questions ....

4. Scatterbrained

Scatterbrained Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    50 1.2

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'll agree with Derrell. The 17-555mm F2.8 IS, may be the best 'normal range' lens for your camera.

By all accounts, it produces image quality that is on par with most L zoom lenses, so that's not an issue. It just doesn't get L status because it's an EF-S lens.

However, if you do plan on someday upgrading to full frame, then you might be better off with a full frame EF lens, but the 17-55mm should hold it's value pretty well, so you could always sell it, if/when you don't need it.

6. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    overpriced

7. Scatterbrained

Scatterbrained Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    and it has a focus shift issue. . . .;)

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Well, both 16-35 and 24-70 are serious compromises if you have only one top-quality zoom and a 1.6x camera AND want to shoot event work...you want the ability to go wide and normal and slight telephoto within seconds,without a lens change...neither the 16-35 nor the 24-70 can do all those things in one,single zoom lens. 35mm is too short of a top-end, and 24 is too long of a bottom end on a 1.6x camera, so the 17-55/2.8,with IS, (or a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8) gives you a high-quality zoom lens with the range of focal lengths, the max aperture, and the Image Stabilizer feature, all for a reasonable price.

IMO, you want a fixed-aperture zoom for doing event/flash work, so that manual flashes are easily used,and no worrying about the aperture losing light as the lens is zoomed. Once you buy a FF body, then the 24-70 makes a lot of sense, but until then, its a limitation. The 17-55 or Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 make a lot of sense for event work.

9. rCOSIO

rCOSIO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Darrel ... AWESOME response ... and thanks to everyone else. The 17-55 f/2.8 sounds like the fit ....

CURVE BALL .... would you still reccomend the 17-55 f/2.8 if I plan on purchasing a 5D MKII next year (whole year from here) ..... It sounds like the 24-70 f/28 would be a better fit on a FF .... but help me out guys, if you were in my shoes an you plan on keeping the 7D and purchasing a 5D a year from now ... keeping both body's ..... i'd like to use the 7D for some sports and the 5D for weddings .... should i bite the bullet using a 24-70 on my 7D for a year, or should i just get the 17-55 and eventually get the 24-70 after the 5D is purchased ...

promise i wont ask another question in this thread lol ;)

10. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What do you like to photograph?

I did not see the last thread of sports and weddings.:er:

The lenses are about $250 difference, makes this a harder decision if you are sure you will also purchase the 5D next year.

11. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, I'm surprised to see Derrel so on board with the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS here!

I agree though, that it is the best choice for a 7D (or really... every crop body Canon), that's why I bought one myself and absolutely love it. :) But I get a big chuckle out of the complete about-face taken by Derrel about this particular pair. Gotta love that search button!

But then again, having actually owned and used this pair, I never really saw any of what he was talking about. I've been very pleased with the combo. :thumbup:

12. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Well Matt, take a good,close look at my response...I also suggest TAMRON's 17-50mm f/2.8 as a viable option...if he's going to shoot people work, he'll need a lens that can do the job, and the 17-55 2.8 is all Canon has within the price range, with the coverage angles, maximum aperture, and the Image Stabilizer system. people work doesn't demand very much in terms of image quality at the edges of the frame; its is much,much, much more important to not miss a shot, or to be able to GET the shot needed,at a location.

WHile the 17-55/2.8 L-IS USM is not a "fantastic" lens on the 7D for the LANDSCAPE IMAGES I referenced above, several months ago, the OP here wants a lens for event work. So, there's really no about-face by me...you're a master at picking items out of context and following me all over this board with a major hard-on Matty...seems like you went back months and months Matt, to try and somehow discredit my opinion. Nice try Matt!! (cfcontusion is Matt for those who don't know).

For EVENT work, the OP's choices of the 24-70 or the 16-35 L series zooms are pretty bad choices for his current 1.6x body...the 17-55, while not optically "fantastic", would bea much,much better lens than his original two choices as a general-purpose lens. If you want better lens quality, go Nikon....otherwise...buy Canon...or Tamron...

And now, back to the OP's second follow-up: well, do nopt buy for the future and harm your work in the present. You need a good "event" lens, so buy the Tamron 17-50 2.8 or the comparable Canon and KEEP it for the 7D; once you add a 5D, it too will need a good lens, or two, so buy the right equipment for what yuo are shooting this year, and let next year take care of itself next year.

Until then, you'll need to process out the significant chromatic aberration the 17-55 L IS shows on the 7D, in post work..or, buy a Nikon and let the camera do the CA removal...and if you cannot see the chromatic aberration the 17-55 produces at the shorter end, give it a few years until your eye and experience develops, and you'll see the problems the lens has. By then, perhaps Canon will have a better lens, or will figure out how to do in-camera CA elimination. Let the future take care of itself.