Which lens for walk around/wide angle?

righteous_bucks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I ordered my Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II today, and I'm excited to work with it! But, I hear it's not the best lens as a walk around or for wide angle landscapes, so I was looking at lenses for that. My two choices as of now are:

- Canon EF 28mm f2.8
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS

Since I already have the 50mm f1.8, I wouldn't be using the 18-55mm much for that range, so either of these would be used more as a wide angle, so don't worry about image quality of the 18-55mm at around 50mm, just lower numbers. I just feel it would be nice to be able to zoom some if I wanted for a wider angle shot.

So my question is, which do you think would work better as a wide angle lens for a beginner? And if you have any other suggestions for a wide angle lens for ~$200 or less, let me know!

You won't find anything better for under $200.

Ok, so which of those two lenses would be better do you think though? Haha I'm just trying to decide on the zoom or prime lens really, but would the 28mm be much better than the 18-55mm? It's like twice as much, but as a beginner would I even notice much of a difference?

Any other opinions or comparisons for these two lenses? Or just between a wide angle zoom vs a wide angle prime like these? Any opinions from personal experience with them would be great, because I can read the general website reviews already. Thanks!

On a crop frame camera such as the 20D you won't see the 28mm as being very wide. If you really want a wide angle lens on a budget get the 18-55mm IS or the cheaper (and readily available) 18-55mm non-IS.

If you are still finding that you "can't step back any further" to capture landscapes/cityscapes look into the Canon 10-22mm. For a crop frame camera that is a great lens.

Ok awesome, thanks for your response! I think I'm gonna go with the 18-55mm IS

Most reactions

New Topics

Back