Which lens to use for close-up shots?

buttercupcakes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Of food and objects

Thanks! I'm a newbie to photography with dslr ... some advice would be great!

fast lens with macro function. Make sure that it has good clarity before you buy it. or get close up filters but it needs to be a prime lens if you're going to do that

Thanks ... do you think the 50mm f1.8 lens is good enough for a beginner?

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, how close up do you want to get and what is your budget?

The Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II, has a minimum focus distance of 18"...which isn't really close up.

On the other hand, the Canon EF-S 60mm F2.8 Macro, has a minimum focus distance of 7.9" which can give it a magnification ratio of 1:1 (true macro).

There are other alternatives to get you 'close up'. You could add extension tubes to any lens, which allows it to focus much closer. A good combination would be the 50mm lens and an extension tube.

You could also get a dipoter filter (maybe a set). You put these on the front of an existing lens. The image quality isn't as good as a macro lens but it's a lot cheaper.

Say something like this

invitoscotchfilletck4.th.jpg

The 50MM F/1.8 is fine depending on WHAT kind of product photography you are doing.

You don't NEED a macro lens to do what you are trying to do, but it certainly helps if you are trying accentuate "texture". For the picture you posted, the 50MM would have sufficed. If however, you wanted to shoot jelly beans, then yea, a macro lens would be the better choice.

Really it all comes down to "style" choice.

Thanks for the pointers @ Big Mike and ANDS ...

ANDS would it be possible to direct me to an example of jello with the macro lens?

Damn, there are some REALLY awful photos on Flickr. First place I stopped to look.

Too many too post but you can look here for various "food macro". Look at the "More Properties" section on the individual pictures you like to see what focal lengths they were shooting at.

Here's my take. If you can AFFORD a macro lens, get it, because it can double as a potrait, semi telephoto, and a macro lens. A 50MM lens is "nice", but I don't miss mine, and if I had a choice I'd take the macro any day of the week.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back