Which one is the best package for a beginner?

g1g010

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to begin photography and have about no experience with dSLR cameras. I did a little research to see what a good beginner camera would be and I think the Canon Digital Rebel XS fits well my need. I shopped a lot and it seems that the cheapest alternative to have a complete equipment is to buy a package on eBay.

I found two packages that have a pretty good price:
1:Canon EOS Digital REBEL XS SLR Camera +3 Lenses +10GB - (eBay.ca item 120392935942 end time 15-Apr-09 12:17:57 EDT)
2:Canon EOS REBEL XS 1000D Digital Camera +3 Lens +4GB - (eBay.ca item 120387624756 end time 04-Apr-09 14:58:02 EDT)

Which one do you think is the best?

The first one has only one actual lens but it has image stabilisation. Does it really make a difference. Do I need a second telephoto lens? What about the filters? Will I need them, especially if I use Photoshop? Is the flash that comes separatly in the first link really better than the one integrated in the camera? What's the remote shutter release used for?

If you have a better suggestion within the same price range (less than 600$US), this could be good also.

Thanks for your time.

-g1g010

For both of these Ebay sellers, you might want to read the feedback. Two of the lenses on the first link are not really lenses that you would think of but rather like a magnifying lens.

Try here or here

Well, pretty much everything is crap except the body itself. Both lenses are terrible, I wouldnt rely on the tripod, god only knows how trustworthy the bag is. Buy from BH, or buy stuff separately. Those Ebay packages are never a good deal. My recommendation would be a used Canon 20D, which can be had for around $300, and a Tamron 17-50 2.8, which can be had for around $325 if you shop carefully. This will leave you with an excellent body and a professional quality lens for only a little over your budget. Learn with the 17-50 2.8, and start buying special lenses based on what kind of photography you would like to do.

Thanks for the fast replies. :D

The thing with those ebay packages is that I thought it would save me a lot compared to prices in stores. Thanks for letting me know, it looks like the accessories bundled with the body are low-quality and wouldn't be worth much in stores anyway.

As for a used camera, it's not the kind of thing I'd buy. It's not that I fear anything from used cameras, I'm sure they work just as well as new ones, it's just that, you know, I like my stuff new.

Thank you for those links, but since I live and Canada and that the USD-CAD exchange rate is pretty bad right now and that you have to add shipping and custom fees, it would actually be cheaper to buy in store.

I found this bundle at a local store. The price is in Canadian dollars, that's approximately 580$USD.

L.L.Lozeau - Canon EOS Rebel XS (Black) kit with 18-55mm IS, 75-300mm USM and bag

What do you think of the lenses? Is this decent for a beginner for the price?

Again, thanks for your time. Your experience is saving me time and money. :thumbup:

I see you mentioned lozeau, so I assume you are in the Montreal area?

If you want comparable stores to Lozeau to do some in store shopping at, check out two of my faves:

http://www.photoservice.ca/
http://www.simonscameras.com/

If you are looking for online retailers in Canada, you can check out:
http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/henrys/index.jsp
http://www.adencamera.com/prod-overview.asp?ProdID=2390
http://www.cameracanada.com/eNet-cart/product.asp?pid=2762B004

And lastly, one of the best shopping sites for Canadians…
http://www.photoprice.ca/
It will list many of the sites and who has the best price, including shipping and taxes. I find that the prices don’t always match the store price, but it’s a great reference site.

Hope this helps

Neither, they both suck, the packages come with crap you will never use, or its very cheap and not even worth it IMO...

Screw on lenses arent worth it, degrade quality of your normal lens. The mountable flash is cheap, tripod fairly cheap, but decent since even a $20 is good enough for most situations, the cloth for cleaning is cheap too. I have the same one, it leaves yellow strands on your lens...

When I first got my XTi, I got it in a kit from ebay as well, if I could go back, I would have bought everything separate (except for xti + kit lens, which comes in same box)

I see you mentioned lozeau, so I assume you are in the Montreal area?

First thing that popped into my head too... lol.
You've covered the best MTL places to shop, I cannot add. I did get my D200 and a few other things via Simon's Cameras, so I can vouch for their service... but their prices are open to negotiations. (hint hint!)

Yes, I live in Montreal. Thanks for the shop links.

Is the 55-200mm IS lens that much better than the 75-300mm USM? Because it's almost twice the price and it's starting to cost more than I expected it to. Should I stay with only the 18-55mm IS lens? Is the 75-300 USM a good compromise considering its price or should I really spend more for a 55-200 IS?

I'm not sure if a beginner even needs a telephoto lens to begin, I could also wait and see if I don't completly stop photography (cause there's always a risk), then buy a second lens. On the other hand if a telephoto is necessary and not having one would limit me, I should buy one right now since I can save money by buying it bundled with the camera.

Another question would be are you ademate about going canon? There are some excellent Nikon deals out there, and you could probably pick up a D80 kit.

If you do not want to buy used that is your choice, however there is nothing wrong with most used cameras. Ebay is a good place to look. Personally, I would overcome the used phobia and use my money to buy some decent gear. I would much rather have some decent used gear than cheap new gear, but that's just me. In addition, I would also look into buying an older body but better glass. Ultimately, the glass will make or break your pictures, not the body. Maybe a Rebel XTi or XT with a Tamron 17-50 F2.8?

You could certainly start with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens and the camera body. Many, many fine photographs have been taken with that lens. The likely additions to put on your short list for additional gear are:
1) Bounceable flash
2) US$85 EF 50mm f/1.8
3) US$240 EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

The kit lens adds about $75 over the price of the camera body alone. At that price, it's a very good bargain. If you know up front that you want a better lens in this same extremely-useful range of focal lengths, consider the US$395 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Di-II that Anubis404 recommended.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back