TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Nikon FM-10
nkfm10k.jpg

Canon EOS Elan 7ne
B00021RETM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Please vote and give reasons why..

Thank You…

I have a FM2 and love it, but as soon as I can scrape the money together I'm getting an Elan 7n.

As far as between the two. Technology. Better metering system, autofocus, and everything else that goes with that.

It may come down to what you use it for and what do you like. But this is apples to oranges. Maybe Elan 7n vs. N80 would be a closer comparison.

FM10

built like a Brick S*** house.

although that 7ne is a badass camera.

i say FM10

I prefer Nikon, so my bias will lie in that direction. I would personally say it is more heavily built and has more intuitive manual control when needed. The Elan is a more modern camera with some better features like the eye-pointy-focus thing which you might be interested in. I always go with what fits the lenses I've already got, then the more rugged body which is why I mostly use my F3 then the FM3a, FM2n.

I've got an ELAN 7N and love it. Lots of auto-exposure settings and pretty easy manual control with two dials so you can control both the shutter and the aperture at the same time. It might not ba as sturdily built as the FM10, but it has lots of nice features that I don't think the FM10 has.

is this going to be your first SLR? if the answer is yes, the answer is FM10. Fewer things to pay attention to; just the basics you need, and no frills.

Later you can upgrade to something with more bells and whistles, and yet you won't feel the need to forget about the Fm10, let alone regreting having started from there!

Not that I think that the Nikon is better. It's rather the kind of camera we're talking about. These two are not equivalents that put you before the decision between one brand and the other. They are two different kinds of camera, and I'd definitely recommend as a first camera a manual one -or, as some say, "adjustable" :shock:

The Nikon FM10 is not built by Nikon at all. It's a generic model 35mm SLR that is sold to Nikon, Olympus, Vivitar, Sigma, Cosina (actually, they may be the people building it). Each brand gets their own label put on it, minor cosmetic differences, and whatever lens mount they want. When I think built like a tank, brick, whatever I am thinking of a camera that is a lot more sturdy than the FM10. I'd say it's build is typical of a cheaper camera design from the 1980s.

It's not that the FM10 is a bad camera; it's just a cheap camera that you will pay more for because of the Nikon label and lens mount. The meter is about as cheap as it gets in 35mm SLRs in the last 25 years, and in my opinion is a big weakness. For the price of a new FM10 you could get a used Nikon FM2 or FM2n, and that is a much better camera. For that matter I can name you a dozen other 35mm SLRs that are a better value used (in the $50 to $150 range) than the FM10 is new (over $200, right?). If they sold the FM10 for $100 maybe, but it is not worth $200+.

I don't know a lot about the Elan 7ne, but it seems like you are asking whether you should buy a mechanical style, manual focus camera or an electronic style, auto focus camera. They are two different beasts, and you should really look over the features and think about what will be most important for the photography you do. I love mechanical style cameras, but I know plenty of folks who can't live without auto-focus. And these days the meters in the cheapest 35mm AF SLR cameras are often better than the best meters 20 years ago.

Here are a dozen manual focus 35mm SLRs I'd pay $200 (most will be cheaper) for used before spending $200 on a new FM10:

1) any Canon A or AE model
2) Nikon FM, FM2, or FM2n
3) Nikon F2
4) Nikon FE
5) Pentax K-1000 or K2
6) Pentax Spotmatic
7) Pentax ZX-M
8) Pentax ME or ME Super
9) Pentax MX
10) Minolta X-700
11) Minolta SRT
12) Olympus OM models (except the OM-10, it's the same as a FM10 with an Olympus mount!)

Sorry if I've ticked off any FM10 users. Remember 99% of the important stuff is between your ears; the camera is just a light proof box. But I have to call it like I see it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back