Which type of Slave flash do you prefer??? (Torn between 3 choices)

TheSon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I want an external flash(es) and I want to minimize the wiring (wireless preferred).

I have been torn between three options and I am not an expert enough to know which is best:

1) cheap slave flash with wireless light sensor trigger built-in:
41JdzOyRcxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

2) RF remote that slides into my hotshoe (and the flash hotshoe) and triggers the other flashes:
d_2314.jpg

3) Or just a $10 optical trigger on the flash I already have:
triggers.jpg

Any ideas? I'm sure some of you more groomed photographers know the answer to this? Thank you!

Before Jerry jumps on here, he loves the Cactus triggers he gets 300+ feet out of them consistantly. There that's out of the way. Now I did love them as well but for some reason they started failing on me recently. They wern't firing when I needed them to. They lasted more than a year though so I got my moneys worth. If you are going to be within the distance to pick up the light to trigger it, I would get number 1. The issue you may have with it is if there are other photographers around firing flashes. They may set it off. There really is not substitute for a good set of wireless triggers like the pocket wizards. If you have to keep it cheap, go with number 1. Can't ever have too many flashes.

I like the radio triggers better than optical slaves.

Thank you jlykins!

Isn't the "pocket wizard/cactus trigger" like #2 that I have posted (RF remote trigger)? I can get that set for $20 shipped. That's pretty cheap. Is it a better alternative than #1? Especially if I want the flash 10 feet away from me in some instances?

I know you recommended #1, but it sounds like you prefer #2... and they're both about the same price.

I like the radio triggers better than optical slaves.

You mean #2, correct? They seem more practical and easier to use (less hassle).

If you look at the picture you posted, that is the cactus trigger. The pocket wizzard is about $300-$400 but you get like 1600 feet with them. 10 feet will be fine with an optical trigger like number 1. I used the cactus triggers (#2)for a while, but there has been a ton of debate on here about them. Do a search for "cactus" and you'll see. For $20 though, what do you have to loose...

I guess I didn't answer what you just asked. Yes I prefer the wireless triggers, but I like the Pocket Wizzards, not the Cactus triggers. Two very different units.

For off-camera flash a lot of people I know have been using the AlienBees CyberSync wireless triggers and have been very happy with them. I just got mine but haven't played with them yet. They cost more than the Cactus triggers but a lot less than the PocketWizards.

+1 on the cactus triggers.. i have 2 receivers and one transmitter, and I LOVE them, havent had a misfire yet... much nicer than spending 500 bucks on pocket wizards (which obviously are better.. but who has 500 bucks lying around

Most reactions

New Topics

Back