• Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC ~ $125

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Trace63

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
SO I gathered some ideas from another thread and some research and narrowed it down...kinda. :p Im basically just starting out. I know I will eventually get a 70-200mm (probably Sigma) but in the meantime I want something to replace the kit lins.

Last edited:
Which 'kit' lens do you currently have and precisely why do you want to replace it when you are just starting out?

I have the 18-55mm from the Canon 400D. I edging towards the 28-135mm also, primarily because I feel like a little bit of extra zoom will do me well. However, then I found the 18-50mm 2.8 lens and was thinking maybe to get that as a fast indoor/portrait/etc lens and add in the cheaper zoom lens for when I need it.
Also, thats where option 3 comes into play. If I get that as my walk around lens, maybe that will justify me spending $700 on a 70-200mm down the road. :p

Quick bump. One of the auctions is ending in a few hours and Im off to work at 2.

The 18-50mm would be a replacement for your current lens and would have the advantage of a large aperture. I'd also suggest the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.

The 28-135mm wouldn't necessarily replace your kit lens, because then you would be missing out on the wide end. I wouldn't be comfortable with only 28mm as my widest field of view. This can still be a great lens, but you may find that you will carry both this one and the kit lens.

You might consider the 17-85mm IS lens. This is basically the same as the 28-135mm...but in a wider EF-S format.

The 70-300 is a telephoto and certainly not a replacement for the kit lens.

The 18-50mm would be a replacement for your current lens and would have the advantage of a large aperture. I'd also suggest the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.

The 28-135mm wouldn't necessarily replace your kit lens, because then you would be missing out on the wide end. I wouldn't be comfortable with only 28mm as my widest field of view. This can still be a great lens, but you may find that you will carry both this one and the kit lens.

You might consider the 17-85mm IS lens. This is basically the same as the 28-135mm...but in a wider EF-S format.

The 70-300 is a telephoto and certainly not a replacement for the kit lens.

The 17-85mm is more expensive than I would like it to be :/. Cheapest I can get it for is about $290 or so. The 24-135mm would come out to be around $240. And I know the telepohoto would not be a replacement, that is why I would get both the Sigma f/2.8 and the telephoto.

AHHH, so confused. :grumpy:

EDIT: Im not even sure if the 70-300 has AF! I'm going to snipe his eBay auction for the Sigma 18-50mm. If I get it at a good price, then fine, Ill figure things out from there. If I dont then I'll look into a good lens more and try to figure out what exactly my budget allows.

Last edited:
Price went up too high on the 18-50mm. Looking at a 24-135mm now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back