who would you like to be photographed by?

If I absolutely HAD to get someone to take pictures of me, and I wanted to have any hope of them being something I would actually show other people:

I'd want either John (tirediron) or Jason (Pixmedic).
if you pick buckster he could make you look hawt and 25 again.

I didn't even look hawt and 25 when I *was* 25!! :lol:

I had to think about this for a while! So many good options, but If I could only pick one, it would be Forkie!

Like many have suggested before, I'm also not terrifically comfortable in front of the camera.

One of my friends is a mostly retired pro. Him and his wife did a photoshoot with me for a online dating cite. He consulted me on wardrobe and made the obligatory lens cap joke.

Oh yeah he had a great joke for the wardrobe consult! He said "What are you planning on wearing? I don't do male nudes!"

The jokes, humor and generally excellent social skills of him and his wife made a huge difference. I've seen some of his portfolio from back in the day and he'd worked with a wide variety of clients.

My experience with him has made me believe that especially for subjects who are camera shy, the most important skills are socialization and communication. Sure I could choose a famous photographer who only shoots talent, but I think both of us would come away frustrated. I'll take a seasoned studio photographer with a great personality any day.

If you're wondering, I met someone on the dating cite and we're still together and my friend refused to let me pay him :)

I really dislike being photographed, so I'll go with the Medical Examiner, when I can't do anything about it.

No one. I'm not good in front of the camera either which is why I like to hide behind the camera. Having ptosis doesn't help either...ugh.

I'm glad I'm not the only photographer that doesn't like to be photographed. We may be good behind the camera..not so much in front of it. But hey, it does give you a great excuse. Haha.

But when I do need a updated picture of myself, I'll do it myself..thats why cameras have wireless remotes!

I don't feel comfortable being photographed either. If I needed one for a good reason Steve McCurry has the ability to find what is behind the eyes of his subjects and photograph it. Couldn't afford it but WTF?

Zack Arias

Richard Avedon (if we're talking about any photographer living or dead)

Annie Leibovitz (in her more relaxed, authentic style, not all that Disney CGI crap)

If I'm going to be in front of a camera, it would be Bejamin Von Wong. The guy has enough creativity and Photoshop skills to make me look good. hahaha :D

Last edited:
I wanted to be photographed by Yousuf Karsh.
I didn't manage to get that done.

I also wanted to be, and was, photographed by Herb Weil back in the mid '80s.
When I lived in Coronado, Herb was recommended to me by my neighbor, Doug Baldof.
Doug was a woman. She acted in several TV commercials. She had had her actress portfolio shots done by Herb based on someone else's recommendation.
Herb was in LA and Herb shot a lot of aspiring actors/actresses (John Travolta, Sissy Spacek, Mark Hamill, Linda Carter - to name a few).
I wasn't an aspiring actor, but Doug convinced me it wouldn't hurt to test the waters.

I drove up to LA, right to his house.
We hopped in his car after I transferred my climbing (rock and ice) gear, frisbee, golf clubs, and skateboard I had brought to use as props and hit locations he used in and around Hollywood for about 3 hours.
I learned a boatload about on-location portrait shooting by being the subject, and got a few print media modeling gigs through the same San Diego agency Doug was with.

FWIW - Herb cost me $150 (about $400 in today's $$$s) plus prints.

I'm not big on being in FRONT of the camera, but if I had to be, I'd want it to be binga63 (Chris).

I'd say Cris Crossley as well. I'm perfectly boring in my normal guise, and I'm sure Chris would do some magic in rendering me into something I could never be (but could imagine!). Sometimes the "true" portrait ignores the surface, and I think Chris could pull it off.

Not one.. i am too camera shy and tend to pose weirdly for cameras ... lol .. i am only good behind the camera :p

I had to think about this for a while! So many good options, but If I could only pick one, it would be Forkie!

:cokespit:

@JustJazzie ?!

I don't believe for a second that if you had to pick one photographer to make a portrait of you that you would choose me over all others, but you are super sweet for saying so!

Maybe one day if I get to come to the States we'll do just that! :icon_hug:

Well, in answer to the question, I love being in front of the camera as much as behind it, so I'd want Aaron Nace to shoot me and 'Shop me into something awesome!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back