Why do people buy (d)SLRs ???

but, why does it matter atall. i mean, dslrs are already extreamly expensive, sames to be said about all camera gear. but if someone wants to go out but a 3000 dollar system only to use it on full auto the whole time, it shouldnt really matter because we dont ever see any of they work. when i see people walking around with a lens thats waaaaay to big for the situation their in just to make it look like they have the biggest and bulkyest camera. i laugh because they really have some ego issues. a good example was at this race i attended. some guy was walking around with this huge telephoto probably 70-300 and he was right up close looking like he was taking pictures of the people on the podiem. its the end result that ultimatly matters eh?

Henri Cartier-Bresson (great photographer and founding member of Magnum) made a point of saying you should only go out to shoot with one camera and one lens. Don't let the equipment come between you and the image. I have more gear than any sane person, but I still typically only take one body and lens out, to force myself to work within the limitations of what I have with me. If I go on vacation I will bring as little as possible - unless it's a photo trip and then I bring everything I can think of.

Henri Cartier-Bresson (great photographer and founding member of Magnum) made a point of saying you should only go out to shoot with one camera and one lens. Don't let the equipment come between you and the image. I have more gear than any sane person, but I still typically only take one body and lens out, to force myself to work within the limitations of what I have with me. If I go on vacation I will bring as little as possible - unless it's a photo trip and then I bring everything I can think of.

:thumbup:

LOL I doubt that was the only thing he ever said though. ;)

Really, if you have a particular shot in mind or are learning/brushing up with a lens, sure just take the one.

If you are out following your nose you wouldn't use just one foot, or hand for that matter would you?

There once was a painter that cut off one of his ears and everyone remembers his name. The thing that most people fail to remember is that he didn't need two to paint. If he had thrown away all of his brushes and knives and used only one and had STILL been as good a painter, that would have been a real story. (OK the guy had issues, but who doesn't? And who will remember or even care in another hundred years?)

mike

Well, that was his way of shooting, but not necessarily has to be the only way to do it ;)

I guess these days he would buy a high-end p&s and just create great images with it. :) .. maybe not even a high-end p&s ... he was not as resolution crazy as most people are today ...

When i was in NYC recently i changed lenses a few times on the pavement (sidewalk for you foreigners :)) However, it's awkward and inconvenient to everyone around.
I also knew that my 24-70 would cover most shots i wanted. There were a few times i wanted the 70-200 on. So for those shots i changed the lens in the apartment, and took all the shots i wanted that way. I was in Times Square a few times so i knew i could use a certain lens on one day, and another lens the next day.

When i go out for a days shooting in the highlands where i'm on my own or with a friend, i change lenses frequently. I've now got a Tamron 17-35 and the Canon 24-70 so both lenses can be used for landscapes. With the space and lack of people it's much easier to drop the bag and change.

I suppose to most people in NYC i was one of those punters who never changed lens.
But i know that i do.

That’s no different that a film SLR with a 50mm f2.8. No one would ever say that was an odd camera setup.

Well I'd disagree there, I was talking about a kit lens... so I'd say it's more like a film SLR with a cheap crappy 28-70mm f3.5-5.6... some people are happy with their kit lens, great. But I think sometimes people simply buy dSLR (or previously SLR) kits because they just assume they're 'better' (and are they really inherently better in every way?), and later replace the camera without ever having changed lens, or even considered how changing lenses might affect the image. But if they can afford to do that, good for them and good for me too since the prices get lower.

To summarize:

1. Because they want a more detailed final image [larger sensor, higher megs], or

2. Because they want the ability to change lenses, or

3. Because they think that a more expensive camera will produce a 'better' final print, or

4. Because they feel that the camera they carry says something about them, or

5. any combination of the above.

hey, come one people :) , I was not saying that

1. there aren't situations where lens changeing is a bad idea

2. you necessarily need more that one lens (depends on personality and type of photography)

3. people who never change lenses or only own one lens are bad photographers

I only meant that the whole concept of an SLR is not needed for most people.

And that I find it strange that I almost never see someone changeing lenses outdoors, and I have seen many SLR photographers in my life, but only saw one or two changeing lenses on the spot, whereas I myself do so alot (not claiming that makes me a better person or anything).

Well, that was his way of shooting, but not necessarily has to be the only way to do it ;)

I guess these days he would buy a high-end p&s and just create great images with it. :) .. maybe not even a high-end p&s ... he was not as resolution crazy as most people are today ...

No. He only shot with Leica cameras. If he were around now, he would possibly shoot using a Leica M8. But speculating about what dead star-photographers use usually just leads to product-lusting :mrgreen:

I am sure he'd know that pixelcount does not immediately mean quality.

Alex B;

I hope no-one misunderstood what you were saying. It was a perfectly valid observation.

As a personal note, I usually work in b&w film. I consider that my 'serious' medium, humorous as that may be. [Self-awareness is not always a blessing!] When I wanted to get a digital rig, I looked for something that would produce acceptable 8x10's [max] in a limited range of situations. If I wished to go color macro, for example [greater than 1:1], my 35mm rigs and slide film were available, along with all the accessories.

My choice was one of the intermediate rigs. No lens interchangeability. I have not been disappointed with my decision.

because of owning an Rx-7 (car not too praised for its reliability) and lack of money.

Sorry off topic....

3rd gen RX-7?... if so ... I'm soooo jealous... its a love hate/relationship for me (so many rubber hoses to search for a small airleak one hot Houston, TX afternoon wasn't too much fun). I decided to give up on owning one.... drive a supercharged miata and SRT-4 (as a commuter)... and looking for a late 70s Porsche 911 (another potential money pit).

Honestly... I don't care why people buy DSLR's... The market they generate helps all of us enjoy more by keeping competition up and prices "reasonable".

Just because you never saw anyone change lenses, doesn't really mean anything. First off, you must concede that because you didn't see it, it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Second, perhaps they are more efficient than you. What you ask...how can this be??? Well, wouldn't it be silly to switch lenses every five seconds because you see something new, and can't wait to finish what your doing to start shooting something new? Perhaps a hyperactive attention deficit disorder style of shooting isn't for everyone? Maybe some people take a moment to look around to see what they want to shoot, and do it in an order so they cycle through lenses only once. I have been shooting MX lately, and am only using one lens. If you were out there all day, you wouldn't see me swap once. It's also very dusty, but that is beside the point.

Okay, now it's my turn to concede that you are probably spot on with your unspoken assumption...that there is a high percentage of dslr users who don't really need dslr's. I assume that is what you were getting at anyway. I don't really believe that paragraph above, I was just playing devil's advocate. ;)

Sorry to re-threadjack and sorry to disappoint.

2nd Gen turbo S4 Rx-7 for anyone who asked. Still a TON of fun.

FloggingKyle, it was a Mazdaspeed Protege actually. Custom MSP logo put into the grill.

Most reactions

Back