Why do "real" photographers hate instagram?

I don't much care for it just mostly because of the majority of the stuff I happen to see. im not a real photographer though. Just because I like photography doesn't mean I have to love every single aspect of it. I like to ski downhill but I never liked to ski cross-country. diffrent things for diffrent people.

Yes, at first glance but if you dive deeper and search around you can find gold and create a mobile gallery for checking out art wherever you are.

Im sure if i dug deeper i could find some things I like. but we only have so much time in the day to spend on things and i just have a lot of other avenues to spend my time on rather then wade thru things to try and find something that appeals to me.

I guess it depends on how you count. Most of the users couldn't care either way, because they're simply posting duckfaces and food shots. The 'serious photographers' on instagram tend to view it as a medium dedicated to cell phone cameras. There are plenty of venues to post shots on a dSLR. They view instagram as a place to post pictures made on smartphones. I don't know that cheating is purely the right word, but it is certainly viewed as not what instagram is for. I don't particularly care for the strict version that people on there stick by, but I'm just saying that the most active, and creative, instagrammers view it as primarily for cell phones, and any time you post something that isn't on a cell phone, they ask that you clearly label it as such.

They view it as imagining there was a photogallery devoted to Leica cameras and coming in there and posting shots from a Nikon. Or a gallery devoted to scanned film and posting an image that was only ever digital.

This is how I see it. IMO instagram is for cell phone pics! show us what you got...a good photographer can take a good photograph with anything right? Instagram shows that off :) Not that I get mad if/when I see dslr shots, I just think they missed the point and it isn't 'fair' to compare their profiles with the majority of instagram users (who make 'art' using a cell phone camera). Of course those users have awesome photos...they used an awesome camera!

I guess it depends on how you count. Most of the users couldn't care either way, because they're simply posting duckfaces and food shots. The 'serious photographers' on instagram tend to view it as a medium dedicated to cell phone cameras. There are plenty of venues to post shots on a dSLR. They view instagram as a place to post pictures made on smartphones. I don't know that cheating is purely the right word, but it is certainly viewed as not what instagram is for. I don't particularly care for the strict version that people on there stick by, but I'm just saying that the most active, and creative, instagrammers view it as primarily for cell phones, and any time you post something that isn't on a cell phone, they ask that you clearly label it as such.

They view it as imagining there was a photogallery devoted to Leica cameras and coming in there and posting shots from a Nikon. Or a gallery devoted to scanned film and posting an image that was only ever digital.

This is how I see it. IMO instagram is for cell phone pics! show us what you got...a good photographer can take a good photograph with anything right? Instagram shows that off :) Not that I get mad if/when I see dslr shots, I just think they missed the point and it isn't 'fair' to compare their profiles with the majority of instagram users (who make 'art' using a cell phone camera). Of course those users have awesome photos...they used an awesome camera!

And some one still has the notion it is the camera not the photographer. It is the other way around remember? Can you actually tell if a image on instagram was created with a DSLR or cell phone? That is highly dependent on how new of a cell phone an individual has. Some users show great work with a cell phone, pin hole camrea, dslr, slr, paint brush, spray paint, etc. The medium is irrelevant for an image to be great.

I think you missed my point.

But I guess I'm the only one who doesn't care what medium was used to create an image. I don't compare one user to the next. Either what they create is good or isn't, the medium has no relevance there.

I like to look at art.

And some one still has the notion it is the camera not the photographer. It is the other way around remember? Can you actually tell if a image on instagram was created with a DSLR or cell phone? That is highly dependent on how new of a cell phone an individual has. Some users show great work with a cell phone, pin hole camrea, dslr, slr, paint brush, spray paint, etc. The medium is irrelevant for an image to be great.

But I guess I'm the only one who doesn't care what medium was used to create an image. I don't compare one user to the next. Either what they create is good or isn't, the medium has no relevance there.

I like to look at art.

Yeah for SURE you can tell a difference dslr vs cell phone! Especially in the links you provided (slow shutterspeed pics). I am in no way arguing medium choice plays a role in deciding its greatness. Just that it doesn't fit in with the norm of instagram pics. A great photo is a great photo, period. Which is the point of instagram. You can take a great photo with your cell phone...(re: instagram)! Instagram is like a category of art/photography specifically dedicated to iphonography.

People feel threatened by things that they perceive as reducing their value and granting that value too easily to others who haven't worked as hard to achieve it, whether that value transition is real or entirely imagined.

I like to look at art.

So, you'd be perfectly fine if people started posting paintings, sketches, cartoons, etc in the galleries here?

I like to look at art.

So, you'd be perfectly fine if people started posting paintings, sketches, cartoons, etc in the galleries here?

They already have and yes I would be perfectly fine with it. I even think someone sketched a picture of me! Although this is a forum and there could be a sub-forum for painting. Instagram is not a forum with separate areas for posting certain kinds of work.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...time-get-some-fun-out-well-3.html#post2667664

I hate it because everyone who i know who uses it takes stupid pictures with it. I bet 90% of the pics on instagram are of food. Who cares what you had for breakfast. Want to know what I care less about? How your breakfast looks with a yellow grainy filter applied to it. What annoys me is I think people take more photos than they should with it because they think adding a filter suddenly makes a subject interesting. Granted if it was used "properly" to "enhance" actual good subject matter, and the filter was properly selected for a purpose, not just because its different, then maybe it could be ok.

Also - they use wayyyy too many yellow filters. Makes everyone look like they have jaundice.

last but not least - hippies. A lot of people who use instagram (that I know) are in what I would call "hippie" state of mind. They usually have iphones / macs (which i hate), listen to crap music like the beatles, and enjoy recycling. All of the above I hate.

If someone told me the only pictures I could take from now on were on isntagram, I would give up photography right now.

When someone shows me a picture they took with instagram, my mind inadvertantly wanders off to where I'm thinking "I wonder how long it would take me to bleed to death if i punched through (insert nearest glass object) wrist first"

^^^^^Typical Canon user's^^^^ attitudes. Right???

Oh look, actual photojournalism, published on-line by Time Magazine, of people covering the greatest storm of this century...using Instagram!! In the Eye of the Storm: Capturing Sandy’s Wrath - LightBox

Has nothing to do with me having a canon... has to do with every instagram user I personally know is a moron.

I know a couple of old-timer professional wedding photographers who have been in the business for 30+ years and they often use Instagram for their blogs/social networking instead of putting their high quality shots on websites that compress them to hell.

They also use them whilst out and about and post shots to their blogs to keep them current if they don't want to put wedding or other paid work on their blogs for whatever reason.

fjrabon said:

I'm up for some 'figure study' drawings....and some clever,witty cartoons as least as funny as those The New Yorker ones would also be awesome too.

>>SNIP>>>ight now my weapon of choice is the EOS Elan 7NE w/ the 40 pancake..

You seriously need to check out the Nikon N75 with the 35mm waffle...it's sublime...

LOL 35 waffle!

Hey....don't laugh... at f/6:30 or f/7:30 or even as late as f/11:00 the waffle kicks a$$, dude. And...when your eyes are half-open, really early in the AM, like at f/2:00, the waffle is rippin' good!

Derrel said:
Hey....don't laugh... at f/6:30 or f/7:30 or even as late as f/11:00 the waffle kicks a$$, dude. And...when your eyes are half-open, really early in the AM, like at f/2:00, the waffle is rippin' good!

IHOP is better.

Derrel said:

IHOP is better.

Waffle House has sexier waitresses...

Most reactions

Back