Why do some people look ugly in photos?

probably because the camera is closer to you than your reflection is. The image looks different for the same reason that you look crappy if you put the camera really close and use a wide angle lens.
Well, my reflections are closeup too. The camera tends to exaggerate certain features. For example, looking in the mirror I notice that one eye is slightly bigger than the other but when I look at it through a camera it looks like the smaller eye is half shut! I also had an accident when I was younger which resulted in a bump on my nose. When I look at my nose in the mirror head on my nose looks straight (only a slight bump is visible) but on camera it looks like a huge bump.. I guess Im not a 2D person?

you must have a good grooming before you take pictures...

I think it all boils down to the fact that the camera never lies, but the mirror always does.

Hey Yall

I have a big issues with cameras. Everytime I take a picture, my eyes look messed, my nose looks bent and so does my face! :lol: But when I look in the mirror I don't look like that.:confused: Why is this? And which 'face' to people see when the look at me? The one in photos or the one in the mirror?

100 points to who the main log on is. Funny Thread:wink:

I think it all boils down to the fact that the camera never lies, but the mirror always does.
Having done some research it looks like its the other way round. Since the camera is one lens it will miss some detail which is picked up by a pair of eyes.

also, i found that a lot of it has to do with the way the camera influences your facial expression. that smile for the camera just kills it for some people (incl me! :( ) experimenting and learning which poses work better for you helps a lot!
another thing is that you can only get certain angles in you mirror. whereas some pictures might be taken more from the side accentuating certain features... try taking a handheld mirror plus a wall mirror and use it to look at your profile. you'd be surprised to see a different you!

also, i found that a lot of it has to do with the way the camera influences your facial expression. that smile for the camera just kills it for some people (incl me! :( ) experimenting and learning which poses work better for you helps a lot!
another thing is that you can only get certain angles in you mirror. whereas some pictures might be taken more from the side accentuating certain features... try taking a handheld mirror plus a wall mirror and use it to look at your profile. you'd be surprised to see a different you!
Can you elaborate on the bold text?

well typically you just look into ONE mirror which gives you pretty much just a front view.
what you could try is, take a handheld mirror and stand with it in front of a wall mounted mirror. then look into the handheld mirror and position yourself so that you see your reflexion in the wall mount mirror through the handheld mirror. it's kind of a side ways thing. once you got that you can move about a bit and see different angles of yourself that you normally dont get to see...
it's kinda like what the hairdressers do to show you your haircut from the back... :)

Whats really crazy is to have a wall mirror behind you and one in front of you. Its a reflection of a reflection, with that cool curved arc of reflections that go on and on.

c677t: when my sister was in kindergarten they had this "mirror triangle" thing. it was 3 huge mirrors mounted into a triangle, mirror side pointing inward. you'd stick your head in it and feel like you're in another dimension!!! it was really neat!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back