Why don't they make manual zoom cameras?

larry909

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Like they have on those Zoom binoculars where you pull a lever back and forth. It will make cameras cheaper, less Parts, Less malfunction.

The cost it would take to convert manufacturing from the way zoom lenses are made today, and the retooling and re-design of lens bodies, lenses, auto-focus, focus motors, etc., would make the concept cost prohibitive. Lens makers have spent years and lots of dollars to improve zoom lens designs from the old push-pull design to today's helical mounts, and no one likely would be interested in reinventing the wheel.

A lever-operated zoom is more or less a push-pull with a mechanical device added.

Besides, until someone can show the failure rate in today's designs to be excessive, no one will change.

I shudder to think how low my keeper rate would drop to if I had to use a lever sticking out the side of a zoom lens.

Especially when using any more than 100 or 150mm.... like a 70-300 or 150-600 or 200-500.... during fast action......... like sports or BIFs.

I use all my zoom lens manually the majority of the time. My fijifilm has focus peaking highlights.

Like they have on those Zoom binoculars where you pull a lever back and forth. It will make cameras cheaper, less Parts, Less malfunction.
They have those lenses. They're called "push-pull", as in grab the barrel, pull it or push it. No lever involved, saving the expense and complexity of an additional part.

Let's be realistic here; the only "part" that you have in addition to the push-pull lens is a helicoid, which is not terribly complicated or expensive either.

Must be a bridge or point and shoot camera? For a bridge or point and shoot, they probably don't have the room to allow for manual zooming. Most cameras are stuffed pretty full.

All my zoom lenses are manual zoom.

I had a Sony camera (somewhat like a modern long zopm) that used a floppy disk for storage. If I'm not mistaken (been a long time) I think it had a lever for zoom.
It was a SERIOUS disappointment in most ways. The much smaller Nikon Coolpix P60 I have now has a rocker switch.
And is SO MUCH better a camera.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

All my zoom lenses are manual zoom. None have levers for it as that would simply make them awkward. If a lever was desirable they can be added easily enough - I have one (similar to those shown by @tecboy) coming for fine tuning manual focus on my longer telephotos, where very small adjustments can be necessary. It's set me back nearly £1 :)

Because a lever would just complicate things on single lens.

The reason a leaver is used on binoculars is because there are two lenses that it is focusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back