Why go wide?

bahandi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I could have sworn I saw a thread discussing this topic, but I can't seem to find it now. Please redirect me if you can.

So to the main point, I've been considering on picking up the Oly e510 because it's dirt cheap and I love the thought of being able to have a further tele as I tend to shoot from a distance.

However, whenever there's a landscape shot I want to take, I realize that the Oly system will be a huge hindrance in being able to get the shot I see.

Is there anything else that I will lose by not having as wide an angle as I can other than landscape shots and isolated portraits?

I ask because I'm biased towards Olympus purely because everyone else LOVES Canon or Nikon. So now, I'm doing my part to be objective and opening myself up to the idea that Olympus may not be for me after all.

Olympus makes an 8mm fisheye, that should be as wide as you would ever need to get.

And isolated portrats aren't wide angle. Landscapes normally are, but portraits use telephoto lenses.

You're missing out in any situation where you find yourself having to walk backwards further and further to frame your subject. Especially for indoor shots, this isn't possible.

I :heart: my 10-22mm.

Is there anything else that I will lose by not having as wide an angle as I can other than landscape shots and isolated portraits?

It's kind of a matter of personal taste. When you have a wide lens you find things to do with it. It creates another dimension of photography. IMO landscapes shot with a wide lens can sometimes look flat unless you include something in your composition that adds perspective (like the head of a canoe in the foreground with a blazing sunset in the background). Shooting architecture and people are also good fun that challenge you to be creative. IMO - the distortion on my 12-24mm is not bad, but as bad as I want to go. I think the fish eye lenses go too far but this is personal opinion. The distortion can be corrected using software if you are so inclined... I am not.

Good luck

If you only think you'll take, say 1% of your photos requiring a wide-angle, consider getting the camera you want and just doing panoramas.

Why stop there. Landscapes don't really move much over time. A tripod, standard lens, and 15min of spare time you end up with a lovely 100+ megapixel panorama with full 180 degree views :)

Panaorama stitching software is getting very good these days.

Why stop there. Landscapes don't really move much over time. A tripod, standard lens, and 15min of spare time you end up with a lovely 100+ megapixel panorama with full 180 degree views :)

Panaorama stitching software is getting very good these days.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back