Why I don't need a form release?

Very interesting words here. I am at the tail end of a dispute which, while it doesn't relate to model releases, has taught me to be very careful about permissions and keeping things on file.

It is better to have a valid release on file, than to not have one.

This sound like very sage advice.

I have learnt that license and permission mean nothing unless they are written down, on paper, and signed by either the copyright holder or the model (or both) depending on the situation. I have started to carry printed model releases with me in the unlikely event that I get a cracker shot of someone.... it might be overkill, but in our increasingly litigious society it's necessary. And I'm just an amateur.... but maybe that's part of it, I don't have a legal team to sort my stuff out, so I need clear written contracts... someone like Kelby with a team of crack lawyers can shoot whatever he wants and they'll take care of it....

*shrug* I think getting a release is better than not getting one. It takes a couple of minutes to go up to someone and say 'hey, I'm a photographer and I got this amazing candid photo of you, would you mind signing this release?" but it could save you DAYS of work if there is a dispute........

Like I said I'm a total amateur but from the issue I've had, this is what I've learnt.

Last edited:

The most recent issue of Photoshop User magazine, in it's regular "The Copyright Zone' colume written by attorney Ed Greenburg, and Photographer Jack Resnicki, they mention a recent stock photography lecture by Bill Bachmann they attended. Bachmann notes that as he travels around the world making photographs, he ALWAYS gets a release, be it from a monk in Tibet, a native boy in the African bus, or anyone else.

I find that VERY hard to believe !
You think the authors or Bachmann lied - in print?

The most recent issue of Photoshop User magazine, in it's regular "The Copyright Zone' colume written by attorney Ed Greenburg, and Photographer Jack Resnicki, they mention a recent stock photography lecture by Bill Bachmann they attended. Bachmann notes that as he travels around the world making photographs, he ALWAYS gets a release, be it from a monk in Tibet, a native boy in the African bus, or anyone else.

I find that VERY hard to believe !
You think the authors or Bachmann lied - in print?

I think that "ALWAYS" was not used wisely. They may not have lied but I can give you numerous examples of situations in which you just can't get a release form signed; for example, because you cannot get to that person that needs to sing it. The only solution would be probably not to use that image.... which is really stupid if you ask me.

Came bank and publish many pictures with people, even portraits. I asked him if he actually has a release form for each an every picture and he said no I don't because I don't need to. I can't explain here why so don't ask me but you can find out in my courses.....

You certainly don't need releases to display your vacation images online in any form.

Why is this a certainty ?

Most reactions

Back