Why is my shutter speed not budging in A mode?

CThomas817

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted a few days ago about images from a recent shoot being overexposed and when I looked at the EXIF data I realized that my shutter speed was set to 1/125 for all of my photos despite my using various apertures throughout the shoot. The shoot began in early evening (bright) sun and ended after dusk so there was a significant range of available light, yet photos from both the beginning and end maintain the same slow shutter. My photos from early evening are overexposed but my photos from dusk are ok. I shot in aperture priority mode (I am positive) and I double checked that both ISO and shutter speed were set on auto. What gives?

Hi, usually I´d stick with the thread you opened previously that will help people understand what is going on.
You say you were positive you´ve been in aperture priority mode. At best you just go out and shoot whatever is in front of your lens to make sure that was correct. Some cameras have a dial that can get turned in your camera bag rather easily.

Hi, usually I´d stick with the thread you opened previously that will help people understand what is going on.
You say you were positive you´ve been in aperture priority mode. At best you just go out and shoot whatever is in front of your lens to make sure that was correct. Some cameras have a dial that can get turned in your camera bag rather easily.

Ok thanks. The thread kind of went quiet which is why I started a new one. I am very sure I was in aperture priority as I adjusted my settings on location and I was manipulating the aperature every few shots. This is my preferred mode so I would know if I was mistakenly shooting in another mode. I am somewhat new to the digitial world which is where I need the most help but I do have experience in camera basics (my photo education was on film).

IMG_0018.JPG
Here is one that came out decent. I will add the aperture and ISO details tomorrow when I am near the original but I know shutter was at 1/125. This was taken after dusk which makes more sense for the slower shutter.

Looks like the EXIF data has been stripped by your software. The last one is under-exposed by 1/2 - 2/3 stop.

That´s a weird issue then. I don´t know much about Nikon cameras, but I guess you have set the ISO to Auto. Why the camera thought 1/125th is the best shutter speed for any of these scenarios is nothing I can explain, I´m afraid. Maybe you should try a few more shots as I mentioned before to make sure there isn´t some kind of problem with the camera.

Maybe directly POST the images here, on TPF. Your images have been stripped of EXIF info,making it impossible to see the exposure data. Do not "save for web". Really a PITA trying to help when the images have no EXIF data, and you seem unable to identify what's happening and post links to offsite-hosted shots, on your Flickr pages , when asking for help. If you want to ask for help then ADD the full EXIF details, rather than make people who are trying to help guess.

"FULL EXIF data' is NOT just a speed and aperture and an ISO value...full EXIF includes much,much more information. Like the exposure mode you were **actually** using.

Last edited:
This is actually a very unusual issue which you have mentioned. But I suppose issue can be solved by ISO setting.

You likely have your auto iso minimum shutter speed set to 1/125.

Check also you're exposure compensation and metering. You could get poor results if spot metering on s dark spot etc, or if exp compensation set high or low, or a combination of all these things

Last edited:
Maybe directly POST the images here, on TPF. Your images have been stripped of EXIF info,making it impossible to see the exposure data. Do not "save for web". Really a PITA trying to help when the images have no EXIF data, and you seem unable to identify what's happening and post links to offsite-hosted shots, on your Flickr pages , when asking for help. If you want to ask for help then ADD the full EXIF details, rather than make people who are trying to help guess.

"FULL EXIF data' is NOT just a speed and aperture and an ISO value...full EXIF includes much,much more information. Like the exposure mode you were **actually** using.

Ok.. the images were too large to post directly which is why I web linked them. Clearly I am new to this so more guidance and less beginner shaming would be appreciated. If you have suggestions on how to resize the images without losing the data that would be helpful.

You likely have your auto iso minimum shutter speed set to 1/125.

Check also you're exposure compensation and metering. You could get poor results if spot metering on s dark spot etc, or if exp compensation set high or low, or a combination of all these things

Thanks so much. I think exposure comp was accidentally set to .3 but these seem so overexposed so I figured shutter speed was contributing too

I'd suspect a minimum shutter speed was set with AUTO ISO.

You don't mention what camera you have, so we can't recommend what to check.

I'd suspect a minimum shutter speed was set with AUTO ISO.

You don't mention what camera you have, so we can't recommend what to check.

Thank you I think that was the issue! It's a Nikon D3300

Most reactions

Back