Why mot to take long exposures of start trails in NYC

Jaszek

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
michalphoto.tk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why? Because you only get one star lol. PS Don't mind the black donts...still waiting for my sensor cleaning kit.
IMG_0603Medium.jpg

why the bump... you dont as a question, you dont ask for cc.. you merely give some quick advice on why not to try to take shots of stars in NY..

I couldn't understand the title of the thread and just skipped over it the first time.

Have nothing to say about the picture.

was this taken in your backyard or in the city? how long did you set the exposure for?

tak =en in a local park and exposure was 10 minutes

theres a reason why most of the more dramatic star trails are taken in the country. city lights tend to drown out all but the brightest stars, PLUS the smog makes it even worse.

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
Image Date: 2009:01:04 19:26:51
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 48.0mm
CCD Width: NaNmm
Exposure Time: 601.000 s
Aperture: f/32.0
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

Should have gone with a wider aperture (say around f/4, f/5.6) and higher ISO(400ish), and maybe a wider lens too.

Should have gone with a wider aperture (say around f/4, f/5.6) and higher ISO(400ish), and maybe a wider lens too.

Huh? He's not trying to get a quick exposure out of it. The intent is to drag the shutter so you can get trails from the stars in the sky, thus the F32/10min shutter. And the focal length of the lens wouldn't have anything to do with the exposure anyways.

And why did you drag up this old thread anyways?

Huh? He's not trying to get a quick exposure out of it. The intent is to drag the shutter so you can get trails from the stars in the sky, thus the F32/10min shutter. And the focal length of the lens wouldn't have anything to do with the exposure anyways.

And why did you drag up this old thread anyways?
I wouldn't consider 4 months old.

But the OP got no star trails because there was way to much ambient light and the aperture should have been f/11, f/16. The bright streak isn't even a star trail, it's probably a meteor trail (notice it's a straight line, not an arc).

Last edited:
I am surprised noone else mentioned this.. there are blinding bright lights shining into your lens! As in park lights. Try going in a dark place and taking a photo of the sky without any earth lights, the moon or other nonsense in front of your camera. Try it with your Sigma wide :).

Most reactions

Back