Why the blur?

JayClark79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok i have the EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III lense amd im really getting frustrated with the photos im getting from it. The first photo below is the full image... the 2nd photo is a cropped photo at 100 view im sure you can see the sick distortion... Is this because of the lense i have? If i buy the lense with the IS and USM will the pictures be alot sharper?

Here are the photo details
1/1000 (the high shutter is because more shots were zoomed in more)
ISO 1600 (it was low light, i get the same distortion even with lower ISO's)
f4
85mm
Exposure +2/3

What am I doing wrong?

3919896823_23b6b7077d_b.jpg

3920678236_962ff708a0_o.jpg

I don't see blur in the crop, I see a soft image most likely due to noise reduction being done to the image.

its because of your shutter speed... when shooting motion, if you want it to "freeze" you need a faster shutter speed.. also the pic is very noisy, due to such a high ISO.. when shooting outside.. the lower the better..

You shooting in RAW or jpg? By the looks of it, the large amount of noise is contributing to the soft look of the image.

WOW three replies already NICE.
Sorry I meant noise or really soft not really blur...I have done no noise reduction to this image.
I shot at 1/1000 isnt that a fast shutter?
This shot was in jpg...
I think i get the same noise with a lower ISO this was just 1 example... I remember setting a lower ISO and the image being very dark.... 1 because of the higher shutter, and 2 because it was dusk and the whole yard was in shade.

Thanks for the replys guys :)

If you're shooting in jpg you can change the settings in the camera to use more sharpening, maybe worth a try.

I couldnt find the "sharpen" option.. but these were shot at the highest quality at 15mp.

What is your focusing technique? I bet that's it.

You can have grainy pictures that are still sharp.

Its at 1/1000th, so it's not motion blur.

It's either focusing, or the lens just not being very sharp, which it's not.

RAW won't do a thing either, if it's out of focus, it's out of focus.

I couldnt find the "sharpen" option.. but these were shot at the highest quality at 15mp.

I'm going to assume the system is similar to my 400d here, where you go into the menu and its under... profiles? Or something like that. There are a few preset options and then some user options where you can change the default conbtrast, saturation, sharpness etc. I found playing around with these a bit improved the look of my jpgs quite a bit. Sorry I'm not of more use I'm just trying to go by memory, and like I say I only assume the 500d menu is similar to the 400d.

Focus was auto focus.

Thats kinda my question I had this lense for my old SLR... and since i cant stand this "noise" i was wondering if I drop $500 on Canon's Zoom Telephoto EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens and get this same noise im gonna go bazurk lol..

You'd benefit from faster glass (f/2.8 or better) if you don't want blur or noise. It will allow you to shoot in lower ISO numbers.

Focus was auto focus.

Thats kinda my question I had this lense for my old SLR... and since i cant stand this "noise" i was wondering if I drop $500 on Canon's Zoom Telephoto EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens and get this same noise im gonna go bazurk lol..
I think you're mistaking the noise for blur. A lens won't solve noise problem at higher ISO, that's in the camera. What it would change is that a faster lens (lower F/#) will allow you to be able to shoot at lower ISO in similar conditions, thus reducing noise.

Edit: Oops, Noyze beat me to it.

I dont have $5,000 + to drop a f2 300mm+ zoom lense

Then you'll have to deal with it or add light to the situation :) There's a reason not everyone is shooting pro glass.

You can find lenses in the $1000 range that will work just fine, not sure why you'd need a $5000 lens for this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back