oldhippy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
DSC_0832-Edit.jpg uploaded from computer
DSC_0832-Edit by ed brown, on Flickr
upload from flickr
Having issues with posting as the flickr image most closely represents my image and the image posted from computer photos does not. any ideas

I do not see a difference on my end when viewing the attachments and flipping back and forth.

Flickr has a file-size reducing algorithm to copies of your images you upload.

But I agree, the two attachments and nearly identical. I can only detect that one is maybe -0.05EV darker than the other.

You may be having viewing problems with the files' embedded ICC profiles. These files are tagged with the ProPhoto color space. For viewing on the internet you want to consider using the sRGB color space. It's less likely to cause a color management conflict.

Joe

I'm seeing at least a 1 stop difference in exposure on the rose, with the Flikr version being the brighter (and more correctly appearing) version. Do you have a good, calibrated monitor at home?

I'm seeing at least a 1 stop difference in exposure on the rose, with the Flikr version being the brighter (and more correctly appearing) version. Do you have a good, calibrated monitor at home?

are you comparing the full-sizes or the thumbnail in the inline post?

Is the browser you use 'color aware'?

And as Joe points out, a variety of color management settings also have to be a considered when you put photos out on the internet.
For the most part for online display we want to post a JPEG that is in the sRGB color space.
When I edit photos for the web the last step is to click on Edit > Convert to Profile and make sure the profile is set to sRGB IEC 61966-2.1:1999 before I Save the file.

There is a lot of inconsistency when it comes to displaying photographs on the Internet.
There are differences in browsers and in the variety of device types now used to access the Internet.

Thank you all, I have spider calibration that t I use regularly. When I post to Facebook or other sites there is always a 1 or more darker image. Seems like the reds are really diminished.

:irked: Never mind... it's Monday.

Exactly! Thumbnail" small, dark. But the two large-sized images, like 0.05 difference, if even that! So....* dunno what's going on...to me the two full0sized images are almost identical in color,contrast,tone,everything. Using a Mac computer and Safari here.

look near identical in my Windows 8.1, Chrome browser

I do not use Flickr myself and looking at the page it appears they are using some method to stop me easily downloading the image to check. To try and find out what is happening here I just dragged the small image on this page to the desktop and opened it in Photoshop, where the profile is shown as Adobe RGB. Then I did the same with the bigger image on this page and the profile on that is ProPhoto RGB.

Both of these are unsuited to the internet and you would be far better off using sRGB. I would concur that the small file looks a good stop darker than the image on Flickr with subtle differences across Chrome, Safari and Firefox on my Mac.

At time of writing Firefox appears to be the best browser for colour management, but since browsers are in constant development that might not always be the case. It's also true that you cannot govern how others are viewing your images, but sRGB is the safest option across all browsers.

Last edited:
Solved using Light room plug in, loads without notable image loss

In this case I used Youpic export plugin.

Most reactions

Back