Why to be a Buzzkill!!! My opinion of the Df has changed...

Funny, I got really excited about it. I'm more than able to purchase the camera (even though I'll be risking the wrath of my ol' lady). I got excited about the button/knob layout because after years with the D90 and D7000 I'm want my button controls to quickly change settings. At the same time the 11 and 39 pt AFs have been lackluster enough with the lenses I own that I don't trust them to track kids well enough to my standards. I say that from trying to AF my friends under 3 yo kids. And yes, I know how to use the AF and I tried many combos (AF settings and lenses), but the kids always seem to best the AF at the most important moments. So, I was hoping the new cam to have the 51 pt AF. Since it doesn't, I'm either going to end up with the D7100, D800, or waiting to see what the V3 is going to be. DOF isn't a concern as the two main types of photography I participate in I need more not less DOF. ISO performance is neglible between them (D7100 & D800), IMO. I don't know. I still have time to think about it as the wife isn't even preggo yet... and I just bought a new motorcycle to occupy my time :D

I wouldn't mind renting one... Let's see when they are available.

Same here. If they actually improve the 39 pt AF to act like the 51 pt AF then I'll get one. Otherwise, no.

I'm not even sure a 102 point auto system can get the best of your average 3 year old. Have you tried duct tape? Lol

Well, I figure the better it can track the better the chances of getting the shots I want.

True, but if your kids were anything like mine at that age not even the most advanced military equipment backed by a cray super computer would do the job.. lol

Bjorn Rorslett, a noted Nikon expert, got to handle and shoot the Df at the official Nikon launch for the "Nikon Nordic" region in Europe. There's a 20-page thread over on Nikongear.com about the camera, and his impressions from actually SHOOTING the camera are sprinkled throughout the thread. I read through it last night...

According to Bjorn, with the Df he was able to accurately focus the 50mm f/1.2 Noct-Nikkor, as well as the 35mm f/1.4 manual focus lenses EASILY, and with a high "keeper" percentage, based on photos he actually shot. He figured that since the camera was allegedly designed to work well with manual focus lenses, that he should bring a few of his literally, hundreds, of lenses, to the official opening in his region.

He mentions a few things, one of the most important being that this camera's viewfinder is MUCH BETTER than the one in the D800 or D800e, with better ability to see the entire viewfinder area edge-to-edge even while wearing his eyeglasses. It will be about two weeks until Nikon's Nordic office delivers his camera for review, but he was extremely pleased with the ability of the viewfinder and screen and eyepiece system to deliver a bight and crisp and easily-seen view, as well as the optimization efforts Nikon has made toward focusing this thing by hand-and-eye. In the thread are some mentions about possible prism coatings and optical modifications, the ocular lens of the eyepiece perhaps being designed with aspherical elements that might improve the view, and so on. He stated repeatedly and emphatically that the viewfinder image is BETTER than that of the D800 or D800e, and stated that it categorically is NOT the "same" viewfinder system as is used in the D4.

He stated that the camera's operation is very easy for a person who understands how the camera is designed. He used the phrase, the "operation is trivial", meaning very easy and straightforward.

Impressions of the Nikon Df - Editor's Forum - Nikongear.com

Bjorn Rorslett, a noted Nikon expert
And Nordic secret agent? My name is Rorslett. Bjorn Rorslett. Lol

got to handle and shoot the Df at the official Nikon launch for the "Nikon Nordic" region in Europe. There's a 20-page thread over on Nikongear.com about the camera, and his impressions from actually SHOOTING the camera are sprinkled throughout the thread. I read through it last night...

Wait, you mean he actually used it before he started writing opinions on it? Good lord man, do you have any idea what that will do to the silly rant industry if this idea catches on! The man must be stopped!

According to Bjorn,

Man, if that doesn't just roll of the old tongue.. lol

with the Df he was able to accurately focus the 50mm f/1.2 Noct-Nikkor, as well as the 35mm f/1.4 manual focus lenses EASILY, and with a high "keeper" percentage, based on photos he actually shot. He figured that since the camera was allegedly designed to work well with manual focus lenses, that he should bring a few of his literally, hundreds, of lenses, to the official opening in his region.

So by going with the less complicated AF system it actually made things easier for the non-camera geeks to work with? Are you trying to tell me that's actually a good idea from a marketing standpoint?!?!? Hmm... seems like I've read something like that around here before.. can't quite place my finger on it though...

He mentions a few things, one of the most important being that this camera's viewfinder is MUCH BETTER than the one in the D800 or D800e, with better ability to see the entire viewfinder area edge-to-edge even while wearing his eyeglasses.
He stated that the camera's operation is very easy for a person who understands how the camera is designed. He used the phrase, the "operation is trivial", meaning very easy and straightforward.

Impressions of the Nikon Df - Editor's Forum - Nikongear.com

Great post Derrel. Say, were going to be having a luncheon as soon as this whole thing is settled. Hope you don't mind, we put you down for the roast beef. Apparently there are far too many people that already ordered crow so that option is no longer available - lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back